Assistant General Counsel
Studio City, CA
CBS Studios is one of the industry's leading suppliers of programming with more than 70 series currently in production across broadcast and cable networks, streaming services, and other emerging platforms. The Studio's expansive portfolio spans a diverse slate of commercially successful and critically acclaimed scripted programming, genre-defining franchises, including the ever-growing ''Star Trek'' universe, award-winning late night and daytime talk shows, and an extensive library of iconic intellectual property.
This position is as a studio production lawyer for CBS Television Studios, a leading producer of television programming for network, cable and digital media. The attorney will be responsible for drafting and negotiating agreements in all areas of television development and production, including services agreements for producers, writers, directors and actors; rights acquisition agreements; production services agreements; co-venture agreements; and other production-related agreements. The attorney also will act as the show attorney for certain television pilots and series, and in that capacity will handle day-to-day production legal matters and counsel productions and studio executives in connection with all aspects of television development and production, including contractual issues; clearance issues involving copyright, trademark, defamation and rights of privacy; and publicity and promotional activities. This position also includes reviewing and analyzing contracts and providing risk assessments, including with regard to chain-of-title and derivative rights issues and intellectual property matters.
• Juris Doctorate, admission to state bar and strong academic credentials are required.
• Candidate must have at least 3-4 years of experience working as a transactional lawyer in a law firm and/or as an in-house counsel.
• Successful candidate must excel at drafting; have excellent communication (written and verbal), negotiation, interpersonal and analytical skills; and have the ability to effectively manage competing priorities in a time-sensitive environment.
• The position requires good judgment; a team-oriented attitude; a willingness to handle novel matters and projects outside of usual area of practice; and the ability to work and communicate well with producers and other production personnel and with other departments, including Business Affairs negotiators.
• Some knowledge of defamation, privacy, trademark and copyright law is preferred.
• Experience working at a studio, network or other entertainment company, especially in scripted television production, and experience with guild issues are pluses.
ViacomCBS is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic consumer brands, its portfolio includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, CBS All Access, Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others.