Business Affairs Executive
Culver City, CA
Director, Business & Legal Affairs
We currently have a fantastic opportunity to join our innovative and highly sought-after Business & Legal Affairs team at UPROXX.
A little bit about our team:
UPROXX, a Warner Music Group Company, is one of the largest youth culture brands in the world. Through proprietary technology, journalists, and our award-winning video content studio, we help brands connect to the digital generation. We inform, entertain and inspire our audience through the passion points they care about: Sports, News, Culture, Entertainment, Music, and Lifestyle.
Why this could be your next big break:
The Director, Business & Legal Affairs, will provide day-to-day business and legal affairs services for UPROXX and will be responsible for drafting and negotiating production services agreements, advertising and media buys and sales, talent agreements, appearance and location releases, deals with technology vendors, NDAs, sweepstakes, and contest rules and more; advising on and executing business strategy for UPROXX; and liaising with and providing guidance to other Warner Music Group departments (including WEA, Corporate, Business Development and the Warner Music Group Labels) and affiliates.
Here you'll get to:
• Draft and negotiate production agreements (e.g., production services agreements, joint promotion agreements, talent, venue, and location releases) and manage and advise on a broad range of production-related legal matters.
• Draft and negotiate various agreements for Uproxx's marketing and advertising activities, including sponsorships.
• Draft and negotiate technology vendor agreements (e.g., software licenses, SaaS subscriptions, AdTech deals, etc.)
• Oversee contract administration and compliance.
• Draft contract summaries and assisting with other special projects as requested by senior business and legal affairs executives.
• Provide on-site coverage for original programming when necessary.
• Ensure compliance with contractual and legal obligations, including participation in the development and implementation of Uproxx's contract-related policies and procedures
• Partner to assist with additional related tasks as needed.
Rockstar candidates will be able to:
• Strong understanding of intellectual property law, 1st Amendment, and causes of action common in entertainment and media industry cases, including privacy, defamation, and rights of publicity
• Strong negotiating, analytical, and organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal skills to successfully interface with outside attorneys, senior management, and general staff
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Sound and practical business judgment
• Attention to detail and the ability to manage a high-volume workload efficiently and smoothly
It would be music to our ears if you also had:
• At least 5 years relevant transactional legal experience
• At least 2 years of entertainment industry or other relevant in-house experience preferred
• J.D. and active license to practice law in California