Technical Director (Animation)
With a high-level understanding of the capabilities of our technology combined with your visibility on the project as a whole, as a technical animation director at Ubi MTL, you provide expert insight, tools, and support to steer a game – and its creators – towards success.
Unafraid to innovate, you establish an actionable plan to bridge the gap between coming up with ideas and putting them into practice. Though every day of development brings a mix of expected and unforeseen challenges, you never lose sight of the big picture. As a strategic thinker and tactical planner, you balance short-term priorities with long-term goals while consistently considering the future impacts of your choices.
What you'll do
• Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision & determine technical feasibility.
• Review game design concepts + identify and analyze risks (engine, memory, frame rate, etc.).
• Work closely with programmers to assess existing animation and rigging tools + occasionally design custom ones to improve pipelines.
• Support animators, game designers, and riggers with their technical needs + informatively and constructively explain the root causes of risks, blockers, etc.
• Train team members on tools and techniques + raise awareness of new processes.
• Resolve complex, escalated issues & make technical validations.
• Prepare post-mortems + recommend cost- and time-efficient solutions to evolve our animation content & tech.
• Anticipate technological advancements and stay up to date on market trends to define our best practices + share them with our studios and the industry.
• Participate in recruitment to build the animation team & foster their professional development.
What you bring
• Around 7 years of animation, rigging, or programming experience (or related experience) + 3 years of leadership
• A degree in 3D Animation, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering (or related training)
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, time management, organizational, and presentation skills
• A highly innovative, collaborative, attentive, and solution-oriented spirit
• Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
• Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g. Jira) and version management systems (e.g. Perforce)
• A passion for sharing your knowledge and helping others learn and grow
What to send our way
• Your CV highlighting your education, experience, and skills
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4qzpy-44-192-79-149-42 in your application.