Ubisoft's 21,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players' lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft Toronto is one of the largest development studios within Ubisoft, employing talented developers from around the world. We create worlds and tell stories that grip you, inspire you and challenge you. Since opening in 2010, we have shipped innovative game projects on some of Ubisoft's biggest brands: Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, For Honor and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling industry-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft Toronto, we are always striving to get better, be better and do better – embracing innovative ideas, exploring new technologies, and working together courageously and collaboratively.
As a Lead Game Designer you will be a designer-manager hybrid, influencing game design choices and direction, while leading a group of designers. You'll help shape the systems and mechanics that make up the foundation of a game and set a clear plan of action to see their creations and implementations through.
Oversee your team throughout production, managing their creative workload, scheduling tasks, and setting realistic deadlines. As an empathetic mentor, you recognize and develop the strengths of your designers and create an environment of trust for each one to succeed. You understand their strengths and interests, helping them evolve their career in the studio and support them through this process.
Thanks to your understanding of the methods and tools to create, solve, and navigate design, you can help your team overcome roadblocks and challenges, helping them push their features across the finish line.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
What you'll do
• Work closely with the creative and game directors to develop the game design vision for features.
• Put together a project scope plan: timelines, number of systems and mechanics, etc.
• Meet with your game design team to prioritize work, assign tasks, discuss progress, tackle setbacks, find solutions, share experience, provide feedback and coach & mentor junior game designers.
• Oversee your team as they develop features like progression, artificial intelligence behaviours, gameplay, 3Cs and ensure they are documented.
• Collaborate with other production teams to foster constant communication and consistency across the board.
• Adapt to technical and production constraints and participate in finding solutions to fix bugged features.
• Keep up to date on best practices to develop your skills and refresh your knowledge.
• Take part in the performance review process for your team members and work with them on their progression and career development throughout the year.
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences. If you are excited about the role, we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the qualifications listed below.
• Experience leading a team and mentoring its members, ensuring people's development and career goals are worked towards while leading by example and driving a high-performance culture.
• In-depth experience with game engines, productivity software and familiarity with project management software.
• A solid understanding of the video games market its trends and directions.
• Ability to work collaboratively, innovatively, and efficiently as a part of a big team with multiple stakeholders.
• Exceptional problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills with the ability to tailor your message to your audience.
• Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility.
• A college diploma in Game Design, Project Management, or equivalent relevant experience.
• At least 5 years of experience in game design, with a focus on 3Cs and AI being preferred.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq4p69-3-231-217-107-42 in your application.