Level Designer, Big Map Team - Treyarch
Home to some of the industry's best and brightest talent, Treyarch is an industry-leading game developer whose Call of Duty®: Black Ops franchise has captivated millions of players around the world. We are looking for highly effective, self-motivated people with intense creative vision and a passion to learn. Our goal is to foster an inclusive environment with an eye for the future of video game development.
This role is on the Big Map branch of the Level Design team, where you will be designing large-scale, open levels for multiplayer and cooperative game modes. You will create spaces and structures that are well-crafted, realistic, and most importantly, fun to play.
What you'll be doing:
• Work with design leadership, artists, and other level designers to deliver large-scale environments that embody the creative vision of the game.
• Research subject matter related to the history and look of locations portrayed in a level.
• Collaborate with other designers, artists, animators and engineers to create levels that are not only incredibly fun, but look great and run well.
• Originate level designs on paper, then realize those designs as geometry in the level editor.
• Refine level geometry based on feedback from design leadership, and from internal playtesting.
• Give level geometry an initial visual identity based on photo reference and concept art.
• Sculpt terrain, then arrange structures and objects on it to create a cohesive, relatable, and interesting gameplay space.
• Collaborate with our World Building and Art teams to bring level geometry to a finished, realistic appearance.
• Provide constructive, insightful feedback to your teammates.
• Prioritize and self-manage to meet deadlines.
The skills/experience you'll need:
• Two years of experience and one or more published AAA titles in a level design capacity.
• Ability to communicate effectively with other designers, management, and peers in other disciplines.
• Overall knowledge of game design concepts including, but not limited to, level flow, engagement design, pacing, etc.
• Be proactive in communicating progress and solving problems.
• Proficiency with one or more 3D level/world creation packages.
• Strong familiarity with recent shooters and the trends of the genre.
And you'll really get our attention if you have:
• Experience with the Radiant level editor
• Mod community experience
• Experience creating large-scale multiplayer spaces
• Experience sculpting realistic terrain in level/world creation packages
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rvov00-52-205-167-104-42 in your application.