Santa Monica, CA
We are on the hunt for an exceptional Lead or Specialist Lighting Artist to join our team.
Our ideal candidate should have a passion for making games, with a technical understanding and focus on realistic lighting. Additionally, our ideal candidate would also be able to show examples of lighting they have done for other AAA titles.
What you'll be doing:
• Work to directly with Art direction and Studio leadership develop and drive the look of our game with a focus on gameplay and in-game cinematic lighting.
• Collaborate with engineering to pioneer new workflows, tools, and tech that drive visuals to industry leading standards.
• Contribute to the strategic planning of high-profile pipelines and processes relating to the lighting department.
• Take on major high-risk initiatives for department, studio, and/or multi-studio wide improvement.
• Responsible for the quality and efficiency of art content generated by the team.
• Ensure that lighting assets meet runtime and disk budgeting requirements.
• Anticipate, identify, and report potential production problems.
• Work in and maintain an efficient organization structure for all lighting assets.
• Maintain and understanding of current industry lighting techniques.
• Collate, author and maintain lighting department documentation.
• Expert presence and influencer within and between disciplines.
• Fully understands and has hands on expertise of all aspects of a lighting pipeline including:
• Understands HDR values and Skybox capture processes.
• Material balancing and strong understanding of shaders.
• Experience in balancing all aspects of a PBR workflow, from exposure, camera settings, albedo values, gloss, etc.
• Experience capturing light readings on location alongside skies.
• Knowledgeable of latest trends in cinematography, photography, and able to provide examples
• Has experience with and can provide examples of color scripts
• Excellent understanding of color grading, LUTs and how to use them effectively
• Experience owning the ''final image'' - balancing and tweaking the result and harmonizing all aspects to work together, including lighting, skybox, exposure, materials, post fx (such as bloom), vignette, etc.
• Experience in lighting environments and characters with an understanding of gameplay implications.
• Excellent understanding of composition and the ability to enhance mood with lighting.
• Ability to follow design reference and ability to achieve realism.
• Photoshop experience.
• Must be proactive and work well in a large team environment.
• Shipped 3 or more AAA game titles or have equivalent experience.
• 7 or more years of industry experience.
• Experience with Radiant.
• A basic understanding of game scripting.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment.