The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
Our global Visual Effects team combines talent with technology, artistry with rigor, the familiar with the fantastic. Our work can be inspiring or invisible, but always unforgettable. From the language of colour to the hand drawn and photo-real, we bring ideas to life through the use of movement, storytelling and timing.
We are looking for a talented FX Artist with expert level Houdini problem solving skills to join our team to develop and produce high quality FX work that meets the challenges of productions deadlines.
• The ideal candidate should be able to solve problem and work within a given framework, while creating efficient technical workflow and troubleshoot solutions that meet the guidelines of a given production.
• Most importantly, one should engage as an enthusiastic team player and follow creative direction to assure all FX efforts achieve their visual target.
• Work closely with Lighting Artist and Compositors to ensure all effects will work smoothly within the show pipeline.
• Good level of proficiency with Houdini.
• Basic Proficiency with Nuke.
• Good understanding of the mathematical and physical concepts related to Computer Graphics.
• A good aesthetic eye for effects performance as it relates to storytelling.
• A solid work ethic and a positive mindset.
• Production experience in any 2 or all the following:
• Rigid body and Particle dynamics
• Volume modeling, animation and rendering.
• Procedural geometry/Environment generation
• Fluid dynamics
• Cloth/vellum simulation
• Crowd/murmuration/flocking simulation
• Fur/hair grooming and simulation.
• Work productively in a high-pressure environment.
• Troubleshoot and solve problems proactively and resourcefully.
• Take direction from the VFX Supervisor, Producer and FX Lead well and implement feedback with a positive attitude.
• Use VEX and/or Python with proficiency.
Any of the following is a bonus:
• Work autonomously to create realistic, directable simulations of any real-world phenomena and subjective (''magical'') effects based on reference and brief. Interpret and transform abstract ideas into compelling effects.
• Create well-organized tools, scripts, and set-ups to facilitate efficient or automated workflows that can be used by other members of the crew.
• Basic / Intermediate proficiency in maya to publish and create custom assets needed for simulation.
• Ambitious desire for self-growth, ownership, and collaboration.
The details above provide an outline of the key requirements for candidates to apply for a role in this department. We have a number of job classifications within our artist team structure. These are:
• Mid Artist
• Senior Artist
Based on your skills we will assess your suitability for a particular role during the application process.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro9yv2-3-238-199-4-42 in your application.