KCEN, serving Waco, Temple, and Killeen, is looking for a creative, driven and curious news reporter who can pitch, gather, write, edit and deliver their own stories. Multi-Skilled Journalists are a key part of the newsroom's coverage on both broadcast and digital platforms.
We want someone who isn't afraid to tackle complicated topics, someone who doesn't just pitch stories straight from a press release and has the vision to broaden it out to show the larger context of why this story matters.
The successful candidate is a team player and newsroom leader with excellent interviewing and writing skills, and proven ability to skillfully ad lib in any live situation. The KCEN 6 News newsroom works as a team, and we want someone who continues to contribute to the positive newsroom environment.
Any candidate for this job should understand that KCEN's digital products are just as important as our broadcast product. We want someone who can write a great web story and be active on social media.
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day.
• Develop and investigate leads and story ideas to pitch impactful, newscast-leading stories
• Enterprise daily and develop sources for general assignment and special areas of interest.
• Create web content, meet publication, and broadcast deadlines, and report on newsworthy events.
• Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility.
• Write, shoot, and edit news stories for all platforms and meet publication/broadcast deadlines
• Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field
• Experience as a reporter or multi-skilled journalist
• Must research, write, and front creative, accurate stories on tight deadlines
• Experience with shooting video and editing software-familiarity with Edius and ENPS a plus
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
• Ability to work a flexible shift
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Light work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 US markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. For more information, visit
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d9nj47-44-200-82-149-42 in your application.