Multi Media Journalist
The VP of News for Telemundo Orlando is responsible for the news product of the station, as well as developing and implementing multiplatform content, strategies and teams to serve the local community and drive ratings growth. The VP of News for Telemundo Orlando is responsible for the quality, reliability and credibility of our news product guarding our commitment to the higher standards of journalism. This leader is also responsible for driving a culture of innovation and change in an ever-evolving broadcasting environment.
The VP of News for Telemundo Orlando partners with the General Manager and Creative Services to evolve the brand to become the local leader for breaking news and in general high impact journalism and content. This person will also manage the digital team developing and implementing content and promotional strategies.
This leader will work with other NBC and Telemundo local News Directors across the NBC Owned Stations Group to drive growth and innovation.
• Lead engaging and ethical news coverage that serve the audience while grows ratings.
• Supervise, mentor and develop News Staff.
• Partner with DOT and Ops Managers to embrace a culture of Innovation.
• Partner with Creative Services to maximize the impact of the local brand.
• Recruit, develop and retain a diverse strong team.
• Develop and maintain relationships within the community.
• Create strategies and content for all digital platforms.
• Execute all corporate policies and objectives to ensure the highest quality of journalism.
• Champion data and analytics to foster an environment of decision making that embraces research insights.
• Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Communications or equivalent work experience.
• 3 to 5 years in the following areas:
• Experience as a News Director, Assistant News Director or similar leadership role at a broadcast station in major market(s)
• Experience preparing departmental budgets, developing strategic plans to operate within budgets
• Experience and success in coaching, leading and motivating a team of employees
• Fluent in English/Spanish
• Able to work a flexible schedule and shifts
• Must be willing to work in Orlando, FL
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation.
• Must be 18 years or older
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Time management: Ability to meet scheduled deadlines, make split-second decisions on content, ensure ethical standards are always met and juggle time training new hires.
• Strong leadership and coaching: Ability to lead and coach staff on all aspects of newsroom work, from shooting video to writing compelling TV news stories.
• Strong written, verbal and presentation skills.
• Ability to recognize, create and communicate priorities, strategies as well as market opportunities and challenges to drive growth and performance improvement.
• Understanding of FCC rules and regulations.
• Understanding of marketing and audience development in a multi-platform environment.