The position is the primary liaison with the News Department for all operations, which include managing field, transmission and editing operations for both NBCUniversal stations in Chicago: WMAQ-TV/NBC and WSNS-TV/Telemundo, as well as the Network News Chicago Bureau and affiliate relations. Manager will also coordinate production of content for digital platforms including OTT.
• Manage the technical personnel in those areas, including coordinating training, staffing schedules, payroll, production needs, vehicles, field pick-ups, safety and compliance with all station initiatives.
• Assist in preparation of budgets and forecasts to identify and achieve operating efficiencies, including purchasing of all necessary equipment.
• Must keep abreast of latest technology and make recommendations on future direction and needs of the operations.
• Rotates 24-hour on-call schedule with other department managers.
• Serves as the Project Manager for field Special Program Productions such as the Chicago Marathon.
• Minimum BS degree in technical discipline
• Minimum 5 years relevant broadcast industry work experience
• Previous work experience as a supervisor of personnel or function
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Able to work longer weekly hours as well as weekends when necessary with short notice
• Must be willing to work in Chicago, IL
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
for this position
• Broad knowledge of information technology including: Non-linear editing, digital field production equipment, IT infrastructure and new field newsgathering technology
• Demonstrated leadership, supervisory and team building abilities in previous job(s)
• Very strong interpersonal skills and communication skills; effective team player
• Demonstrated skills in broadcast engineering and labor relations specifically dealing with unionized personnel and negotiations
• Excellent project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects effectively and stay focused on core business deliverables
• Solid business acumen and understanding of business financials
• Strong customer service orientation
• Ability to productively work in complex environments
• Ability to work continually in fast paced, high stress environment as well as longer hours and weekends if needed