NBC Universal Local's powerhouse duopoly in South Florida is looking for a bilingual reporter to produce compelling short and long-term consumer investigations. The role primarily helps investigate and resolve consumer problems in both Spanish and English for our Responde/Responds consumer unit. We provide all the tools to help you be successful including someone who responds to all tips and helps resolve issues and a talented photographer who can help produce stories that are visually compelling. The person in this role will also be able to tackle other investigative content tied to breaking and important news often working with NBC counterparts. The person will be responsible for uncovering, pitching, researching and producing compelling consumer and investigative stories that get results and create change.
• Work closely with consumer and investigative producers in the production of stories
• Communicate story pitches and developments with senior staff
• Prepare consumer investigations for air, working either independently or with a producer
• Develop a network of sources and experts to generate enterprise consumer/investigative stories
• File and manage public records requests, conduct interviews, and contact companies for comment on stories
• Work closely with Telemundo/NBC News legal/standards team in producing and vetting stories
• Identify and pitch investigative angles on big daily news stories as well as long-term enterprise stories that are highly promotable and will bring about change
• Write online versions of all stories
• Identify and produce additional digital content for each investigation
• Use social media to promote stories and engage viewers
• Minimum 4 years of experience as television reporter
• Fully bilingual in Spanish/English required – with the ability to speak, read and write well in both languages
• Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or related field, or equivalent work experience
• Must submit a resume/CV online as well as a link to recent work
• Position is Monday-Friday days but must be willing to work a flexible schedule which could include overtime, nights, holidays and weekends
• Must be willing to work at the station's Miramar location
• Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation
• Must be 18 years or older
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be willing to work in high-risk emergency situations including hurricanes
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program.
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or must undergo regular COVID-19 testing if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols
Desired Characteristics :
• Previous experience as a consumer reporter or investigative journalist
• Strong journalistic and communication skills
• Excellent writing, storytelling and live reporting skills with the ability to juggle multiple long-term and short-term projects
• Ability to produce network-quality segments under tight deadlines
• Working knowledge of how to obtain public records and analyze data
• Must possess strong, detail-orientated research and writing skills
• Must have a creative approach to digital platforms
• Strong, working knowledge of how to use social media to strengthen the brand, interact with viewers and promote stories
• Collaborative team player
• Strong understanding and demonstration of editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including a current knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems and prioritize work
• Knowledge of editing and shooting workflow and techniques
• Familiarity with emerging news production techniques and technology, with a pioneering spirit with desire to learn emerging technologies
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpb8ye-3-238-90-95-42 in your application.