Telemundo Arizona is looking for an Assistant News Director to oversee the day-to-day operations of the station's news department. The Assistant News Director, reporting to the Vice President of News, will be responsible for executing the strategic mission for the News organization while ensuring that the highest levels of journalistic, legal, production and promotional standards are maintained. The position will oversee big story, breaking news, weather and sweeps planning with an eye toward budget, payroll, staffing, field and news operations to meet operational goals. Help innovate and execute new ways to cover news across all platforms. Will also oversee scheduling of producers, reporters and anchors.
• Supervise newsroom personnel and editorial content as well as newsroom operations. Work with the team to determine the stories that will be part of each rundown and what angle to take with each one. Address how to market the stories discussing specific language to the producers (both newscast & promotions) about the best way to promote stories.
• Oversee the assignment of stories to Reporters and assign managers to reporters and newscasts. Coordinate and collaborate with reporters, reiterating the specific goals of their stories – including who to interview, video to shoot, possible live locations, etc. Throughout the day, stay in constant contact with Reporters and/or Managers overseeing those Reporters to ensure they are staying on task and focused.
• Provide regular supervision to Producers and Executive Producers making editorial decisions and exhibit leadership by keeping Producers disciplined on the fundamentals of producing newscasts. Keep Producers focused on the basics such as changes to rundown order, script content and segment leads reinforcing our brand identity.
• Work with the station's digital lead to facilitate and execute projects for digital exclusive projects, including OTT.
• Establish and maintain a professional, trained and motivated staff though effective implementation of NBC's performance management process. Work with VP of News to ensure training and coaching is provided for Producers. Facilitate the orientation of new employees.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
• At least 5 years of producing experience
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications.
• At least 3 years of news management experience in a top 50 market
• Demonstrates the ability to manage a staff effectively while under extreme pressure and the ability to react quickly to breaking news situations.
• Demonstrated experience with helping to recruit talented producers.
• Experience coaching, delegating, assigning, setting objectives, providing positive feedback and taking corrective action, if necessary.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and overnights.
• Ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
• Willing to work at the station in Phoenix, Arizona.
• Skilled in utilizing internal and external resources to accomplish goals.
• Ability to quickly understand and size up opportunity and/or problems and respond with creative ideas and solutions.
• Experience reviewing reporters' scripts.
• Has the ability to conduct performance appraisals.
• Skilled in delivering feedback in order to develop team.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must have strong interpersonal skills
• Must be a team player
• Can seek simple solutions to complex problems.
• Must have active Driver's License and excellent driving record
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rox153-3-237-16-210-42 in your application.