San Diego, CA
Anchors/Reporters are expected first and foremost to contribute to the team effort of effectively presenting domestic and national news, and growing the audience. Further, Anchors/Reporters are expected to contribute story ideas on a daily basis, and aid producers in the development and writing of all newscasts and multi-platform applications. They are also expected to aid producers and reporters in presenting stories in a fair, accurate and balanced presentation. News Anchor/Reporters are also responsible for generating a news package on a regular basis, working as a multimedia journalist responsible for recording and editing their own story. As well as maintaining an active social media following to build on the station's brand engagement.
• Cover all news stories as assigned by the News Department.
• Produce original content for Digital Platforms.
• Report the facts on station's news program on tape, digitally and/or live, either in the studio or on location.
• Provide input to the show producer on show content and format
• Be active in social media
• Be expected to report/anchor from field, live shots, interviews, and package stories
• Record daily topicals
• Shoot, write and edit newsworthy events including breaking/spot news, general news, sports and feature stories relevant to the San Diego community.
• Perform live interviews and/or live demonstrations.
• Research, plan, and schedule stories or segments.
• Edit or supervise the editing of videotape used in conjunction with news stories and programs.
• Write scripts, lead-ins, cues and bridges as requested by supervisor.
• May make appearances before social and civic groups and at schools and colleges on behalf of the station.
• Anchor special projects and non-news shows
• Provide coaching and input on stories to other staff members
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Must be a skilled writer with outstanding communication skills
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
• Minimum of 4 years reporting experience
• Minimum of 2 years of live shot experience
• Minimum of 2 years of anchoring experience, from a local station or network news environment
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) both written and verbal.
Additional Job Requirements
• Must be willing to work in San Diego
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be able to work any of a 24x7 shift
• Must have a valid driver's license
• Must be able to provide a reel/portfolio of work examples -- if available, include a web address when you submit your resume
• Strong live reporting skills. Able to handle working under the pressure of intense deadlines.
• Prior experience as a multimedia journalist.
• Must be able to ad-lib effortlessly in various types of situations, particularly breaking news.
• Up to date on and interested in current news events
• Ability to communicate effectively and work well with people while under pressure.
• Knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations.
• Upbeat personality and quick wit.
• Familiarity with local leaders a plus.
• Personal initiative and ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Team player who is flexible and can work under tight deadlines
• High degree of integrity and professionalism
• Strong storytelling skills