CBS 8, TEGNA's CBS station in San Diego, is looking for a Multi-Platform Producer to join the CBS8 digital/assignment desk team – the nerve center of the newsroom
In this crucial role, team members will work to forward our station's news gathering operation by fielding, sourcing, and confirming information for each of CBS 8's platforms, whether digital or linear
Our team is looking for a self-starting Multi-Platform Producer who is eager to discover and break the next big story in the market.
Ideal candidates should be curious about the world around them, have sound news judgement, understand the ingredients needed for a great character-driven story and have strong people skills
They also have expert social media skills and can mine the internet to find and develop stories that have impact
Knowledge of the San Diego area and the ability to develop sources and contacts will aid success.
This role reports to the Digital Director and would primarily work weekend shifts along with some weekday shifts.
• Sourcing, confirming, and disseminating information necessary for the news operation
• Discover unique stories and angles to cover across all platforms
Write and post stories to all CBS 8 online Digital-Mobile-Social platforms
• Report news as it happens with strong breaking news skills and generate web traffic through application of advanced social media and SEO skills
• Monitor news releases, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other online news sources for stories relevant to the San Diego audience.
• Work with on-air reporters to support research and data collection for stories
• Coordinating multiple crews and breaking stories simultaneously
• Researching stories for facts and credibility
• Developing contacts and sources to be used in newsgathering operations
• Organizing press releases and maintaining relationships with public relations representatives
• Performing other tasks as required by newsroom management team
• BA/BS in journalism, communications, or related field experience
• Excellent AP writing (stories, social, push notifications, editing, and proofreading skills)
• Strong organizational and communication skills with the ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Calmly and confidently multi-task under tight deadlines
• Ability to handle live, breaking news situations and rapidly changing events
• Previous newsgathering or similar experience, preferred
• Sound understanding of the tenants of professional journalism
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Knowledge of AP ENPS a plus
• Knowledge of the legal process and court systems a plus
• Non-linear editing skills a plus
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Light work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
Budgeted Compensation Range: $28/HR-$30/HR
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 US markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. For more information, visit
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0q7pj-3-235-60-197-42 in your application.