The TEGNA Benefits/Employee Experience Team seeks an Employee Experience & Leave Specialist that will be responsible for supporting the administration of employee leave of absences company-wide, with primary focuses on employee experience; payroll advice-to-pay; and managing the leave administrator. This position will report to the Director, Employee Benefits. The Specialist will be a subject matter expert in Leave of Absence and Disability programs and be well-informed of market and legislation changes with various state leave programs and more.
The ideal candidate will be a team player and must have outstanding customer service and excellent communication/customer service skills. Additionally, we are looking for someone who can seek opportunities for increased efficiency in processes and perform the role with a high level of accuracy, taking pride in delivering high quality service in a timely manner.
We offer a hybrid (onsite/remote) work environment at The Boro in Tysons, VA.
• Manage the day-to-day administration, partnering with/managing the leave administrator, Aflac, for Leave of Absences including, but not limited to, short- and long-term disability, Family Medical Leave, Personal Leave, Parental Leave, ADA and Military Leave.
• Ensure employees going on Leave understand the expectations, their responsibilities and the process overall.
• Manage the administrator to confirm proper leave coordination and handling is occurring for a positive and smooth employee experience throughout the Leave.
• Partner with HRIS and Payroll to confirm tracking of leave eligibility and status.
• Review/Complete payroll needs, including offsets as required, for short term disability and parental leaves.
• Coordinate ADA accommodation requests by connecting the administrator with the HR Business Partner.
• Maintain state paid family/disability leave requirements and understand the benefits. Assist employees with those processes as needed. Be the subject matter expert for all types of leaves and coordination required. (Note – compensation from the paid state leaves is not expected to be managed by TEGNA; but this role is expected to be able to speak about the process that coordinates with TEGNA's leaves and pay).
• Demonstrates being resourceful and becoming familiar with general HR, Benefits and Payroll information in order to address inquiries.
• Provide support to Human Resources Business Partners (HRBP) as required for leave administration.
• Review and assess current procedures and applicable leave laws and regulatory changes and provide recommendations for modifications.
• Partner with HRBPs, HR Management and/or Legal to address escalated employee leave matters and recommend solutions to prevent future implications.
• Provide subject matter expertise and education to employees and management.
• Other tasks, as assigned.
• Ensure responses, follow-ups and touchpoints are timely and efficient to provide excellent customer service to our employees and HR team.
• 5+ years of hands-on leave administration experience.
• Bachelor's Degree in human resources or other related field.
• Well versed in applicable leave related laws and regulations, including the complexities of disability leave, FMLA, ADA, Military and the various state leaves.
• Experience with ADA requests for accommodations a plus.
• Experience with ServiceNow HR case management system a plus.
• Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize deliverables and deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with a customer service focus.
• Good verbal and written communication skills to partner with all levels of employees and management.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Proficient computer skills with the ability to learn new software.
• Must adhere to confidentiality rules, requirements & guidelines.
• Knowledge, adherence and application of human resources policies and procedures.
• Travel: Rarely: less than 10%.
• Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment.
• Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 US markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA's OTT advertising service. For more information, visit
Privacy Notice for California Candidates
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8x639-44-197-111-121-42 in your application.
TEGNA Inc. is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions.