Technicolor Creative Studios is the division which contains Technicolor's world leading Visual effects and Animation brands such as MPC, Mr X, The Mill, and Mikros.
Technicolor's brands have worked on the spectacular scenes and tiny details that make movies, advertising campaigns and Animation movies truly mind-blowing. We're the people behind the effects in countless blockbuster films like The Lion King, The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run and advertising campaigns for clients such as Samsung, Audi, Nike and Apple.
We are constantly looking for the best talent in the world, enthusiastic people that come in everyday to be a part of some of the best work in the industry. When you join the team, you'll be working with and learning from the most skilled people in the business.
We're looking for a mid engineer to help us with our continued efforts to advance our existing Asset Management System (AMS), with a view to increased artist flexibility, cross Business Unit sharing of assets and the role of USD alongside an AMS.
The VFX Pipeline is at the heart of every production and is a key part in helping our artists deliver amazing work; if you are passionate about data, architecture, artist and TD quality of life, and want to make meaningful contributions to one of the most productive environments in the industry, we want to hear from you!
• Hands on implementation of core parts of the technology stack between the backend and asset/shot authoring (with feedback or overlap on the neighbouring stack elements as necessary/comfortable)
• Work with a Team Lead and senior developers to ensure implementation and deployment conform to the larger plan
• Work with senior developers and users to track, reproduce and assess issues, opportunity for improvements, and performance
• Contribute to developer facing or user facing documentation as applicable.
• Operate as a domain specialist and point person for multiple teams or projects when applicable.
• Taking responsibility for code quality, always leaving projects in better state than before you started work.
• Evangelize use of the Core Platform within MPC and other Technicolor business units.
• Provide operational support for the platform as required.
• Work with the product owner and stakeholders to establish requirements and report progress.
Required Skills and Experience
• At least 2-3 years of proven experience in Computer Graphics in a VFX or AAA Game setting.
• At least 1 of those years spent in a pipeline or tool development role.
• Production-level experience using Python for desktop applications, service backend or development infrastructure.
• Experience with structured development operations (ticketing, reportage, version control etc.)
• Understanding of and the ability to operate in a structured DevOps context
• Basic skills in GUI/UX development, and willingness to occasionally develop POC level frames to demonstrate or propose concepts and ideas
• Familiarity with modern structured development practices, documentation needs, and the tools that support them is very important.
• SQL and general database knowledge for query writing and optimization.
• A working understanding of HTTP and JSON.
• Solid knowledge of testing principles, in particular TDD and/or BDD.
• Collaborative and team-oriented approach to product development, working with teams across locations, time zones and cultures.
• Good verbal and written communication skills
Nice to Have
• The following are not essential to be successful in the role, however prior experience or the desire to grow in these areas will be of benefit;
• Knowledge of the various components used to develop micro-service frameworks (such as uWSGI, NGINX, RabbitMQ and Flask).
• Knowledge in k8/Kubernetes and Docker.
• Knowledge of monitoring tools (such as Prometheus, Alert Manager, Grafana and Graylog).
• Understanding of CI/CD best practices and advocate for their use and improvement.
• C++ knowledge will be an added advantage.
• Demonstrable knowledge operating and implementation for a VFX Centric DCC (Maya, Houdini)
• Strong understanding and some experience working with USD directly
• Cross-platform development on Windows and OS X.
• Knowledge of Python packages and frameworks such as Flask, PyQt, PyMySQL, etc.
• An interest in the architectural perspective - contributing to architectural decisions and other technical documentation.
• Experience of Agile and lean methodologies, and an interest in process improvement in these areas.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment where requirements change.
• Able to present technical concepts to a broad audience with varying level of technical understanding.
• Experience working with large, legacy code bases; from maintenance and refactoring through to end-of-life support.
• An awareness of security and keeping content secure.
• Highly committed and able to transition between independent work and team participation.
• Positive attitude towards learning, sharing and mentoring.
• Organized and methodical with an ability to communicate efficiently within a technical team.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects. If you are an ambitious software developer looking for an opportunity to work with cutting edge technology then we look forward to your application.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d915z7-3-235-175-15-42 in your application.