Technicolor Creative Studios is a creative technology company driven by one purpose: The realization of ambitious and extraordinary ideas. We inspire creative companies across the world to produce their most iconic work. Our award-winning teams of artists and technologists' partner with the creative community across film, television, animation, gaming, brand experience and advertising to bring the universal art of storytelling to audiences everywhere.
No idea is too ambitious for us to create to an incredibly high standard. Technicolor Creative Studios provides World Class production expertise in Film, Episodic, Gaming, Advertising and Experiential Marketing.
About The Role
The Compute team is responsible for overseeing implementation of the global Technicolor FEV compute initiatives, around the various on-prem and in-cloud compute resources and their use. Compute developers are responsible for the implementation of projects and products that solve the global render and compute problem, providing exceptional business value.
The Core Platform has a broad scope and diverse user group. While there is some expectation of the role to work across multiple aspects of the platform (building features, fixing bugs, general enhancements), some developers do specialize and focus on specific subject areas. This may happen immediately, or after some time having gained familiarity with many areas of the platform.
In this role, your responsibilities will include.
• Work with your colleagues to fix bugs, develop features, and define new services from start to finish.
• Responsible for implementing several concurrent, high visibility projects in a fast-paced environment that may cross multiple business unit and/or divisions but focus on show delivery for Technicolor FEV.
• Communicate tasks, challenges and workflows across a globally distributed team.
• Advocate for professional standards of development.
• Review events that impact availability and performance to guide future improvements.
• Troubleshoot problems across different levels of the stack, and in production environments.
• Take responsibility for code quality, always leaving projects in better state than before you started work.
• Contribute to maintaining an authoritative source of documentation.
• Coordinate with leadership to define and priorities projects.
• Support the introduction of new technologies where and when appropriate.
• Evangelize use of the Core Platform within MPC and other TCS units.
• Take initiative to improve the developer experience in small or large ways.
• Mentor and pair with others in the team to encourage the professional and technical growth of others.
• Take part in the hiring process by screening applicants, participating in interviews or posing interview questions as required.
• Own your personal development plan and identify training opportunities for others in the team.
• Provide some level of operational support for the platform as required.
• Work with the product owner and stakeholders to establish requirements and report progress.
To succeed in the role, the following experience and competencies are required;
• Strong knowledge of microservices architecture, design and implementation
• Production-level experience using Python for web/desktop applications, service backends or development infrastructure.
• SQL and general database knowledge for query writing and optimisation.
• Degree, or equivalent, in a computer science or related engineering subject.
• Experienced in managing large, complex projects in a high-tech development environment.
• Experience using development best practices.
• Familiarity with source control, in particular Git, and associated best practices.
• Comfortable working in a primarily Linux based development and runtime environment.
• Solid knowledge of testing principles, in particular TDD and/or BDD.
• Proven problem-solving skills around technical, product and business requests.
• Be able to consider a technical solution from different perspectives, including algorithms, complexity, correctness, maintainability.
• Collaborative and team-oriented approach to product development, working with teams across locations, timezones and cultures.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Be self-motivated and demonstrate strong organisational skills.
Previous experience in the VFX industry is not required to be successful in this role.
Nice to Have
The following are not essential to be successful in the role, however prior experience or the desire to grow in these areas will be of benefit;
• ReactJS exposure or any similar framework is an added advantage.
• Knowledge of the various components used to develop micro-service frameworks (such as uWSGI, NGINX, RabbitMQ and Flask).
• Knowledge in k8/Kubernetes and Docker is an added advantage.
• Understanding of CI/CD best practices and advocate for their use and improvement.
• Tractor knowledge is an added advantage.
• Cloud experience.
• Cross-platform development on Windows and OS X.
• Knowledge of Python packages and frameworks such as Flask, PyQt, PyMySQL, etc.
• An interest in the architectural perspective - contributing to architectural decisions and other technical documentation.
• Experience of Agile and lean methodologies, and an interest in process improvement in these areas.
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment where requirements change.
• Able to present technical concepts to a broad audience with varying level of technical understanding.
• Experience working with large, legacy code bases; from maintenance and refactoring through to end-of-life support.
• An awareness of security and keeping content secure.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxbb1z-3-233-221-90-42 in your application.