Technicolor Creative Studios is the division with Technicolor, which contains Technicolor's world-leading Visual effects and Animation brands such as MPC, Mr. X, The Mill, and Mikros.
Technicolor's brands have worked on the spectacular scenes and tiny details that make movies, advertising campaigns and Animation movies genuinely mind-blowing. We're the people behind the effects in countless blockbuster films like The Lion King, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run and advertising campaigns for clients such as Samsung, Audi, Nike and Apple. We are continually looking for the best talent globally, enthusiastic people who come in every day to be a part of some of the industry's best work. Technicolor's artists are wildly creative, uber-talented and passionate about the possibilities of VFX, Experiential, Animation and Technology. When you join the team, you'll be working with and learning from the most skilled people in the business.
About The Role
As a Software Developer in the Core Engineering team, your role is to further the development of the Core Platform to meet the needs of our users and the
You will draw on your skills and experience to both extract and modernise the Core Platform for use by other Technicolor companies, and to maintain
ongoing use by MPC. You will focus on developing services and APIs that encapsulate the business logic of the platform, in areas such as compute,
storage, digital asset management and digital resource management. You will be building internally facing interfaces to our platform and production data.
The Core Platform has a broad scope and diverse user group. While there is some expectation of the role to work across multiple aspects of the platform
(building features, fixing bugs, general enhancements), some developers do specialize and focus on specific subject areas. This may happen immediately, or after some time having gained familiarity with many areas of the platform.
In this role, your responsibilities will include;
Work with your colleagues to develop features, fix bugs, and define new services from start to finish.
Take responsibility for code quality, always leaving projects in better state than before you started work.
Contribute to maintaining an authoritative source of documentation.
Evangelise use of the Core Platform within MPC and other Technicolor business units.
Provide some level of operational support for the platform as required.
To succeed in the role, the following experience and competencies are required;
• Production-level experience using Python for desktop applications, service backends or development infrastructure.
• An understanding of concurrency as it applied to CPython, and writing code that scales gracefully.
• Strong knowledge of microservices architecture, design and implementation.
• SQL and general database knowledge for query writing and optimisation.
• A working understanding of HTTP and JSON.
• Familiarity with source control, in particular Git, and associated best practices.
• Comfortable working in a primarily Linux based development and runtime environment.
• Proven problem-solving skills around technical, product and business requests.
• Be self-motivated and demonstrate strong organisational skills.
• Previous experience in the VFX industry is not required to be successful in this role.
Nice to Have
The following are not essential to be successful in the role, however prior experience or the desire to grow in these areas will be of benefit;
• Knowledge of the various components used to develop micro-service frameworks (such as uWSGI, NGINX, RabbitMQ and Flask).
• Knowledge in k8/Kubernetes and Docker.
• Knowledge of monitoring tools (such as Prometheus, Alert Manager, Grafana and Graylog).
• Understanding of CI/CD best practices and advocate for their use and improvement.
• Knowledge of Python packages and frameworks such as Flask, PyQt, PyMySQL, etc
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-roen21-35-172-223-30-42 in your application.