Culver City, CA
Exec Dir Music Royalty Adm
The Director, Music Royalty Administration is responsible for monitoring and tracking all music revenues for Sony Pictures Entertainment, ensuring timely receipt and allocation of earnings, setting up royalty accounts and processing payments to publishers, composers, songwriters, artist and producers, and providing analytics, reporting and research as needed by studio executives. Responsibilities include:
(a.) monitoring and auditing royalty statements received from music publishers, record labels and music distributors, ensuring timely and accurate receipt of royalties, and allocating earnings to the proper production accounts;
(b.) setting up soundtrack royalty accounts, generating royalty statements and making record royalty and mechanical royalty payments for Sony Pictures' in-house record label, Madison Gate Records (''MGR''), as well as tracking and allocating label revenues and costs, securing mechanical licenses for MGR releases, and assigning/tracking ISRC and UPC codes;
(c.) setting up royalty accounts, generating statements and making payments for Sony Pictures in-house synch and master use licensing business; and
(d.) producing ad hoc reports, royalty abstracts, research, calculations, and analytics as need by the Music Business Affairs, Corporate Finance, and Audit teams.
The candidate must have 7+ years royalty accounting experience at a major record label, knowledge of music publishing and mechanical licensing, a thorough understanding of royalty calculations and publishing splits, and the ability to extract royalty provisions from music contracts. They must be proficient in Excel with a firm grasp of Pivot Tables and Vlookup functions, and have experience using Counterpoint, SAP/ARIBA financial systems and Nielsen SoundScan. The ideal candidate will have a keen eye and attention to detail, the ability to work independently, clear written and verbal communications skills and solid math skills.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Generate quarterly statements for MGR and make royaltor payments.
• Allocate royalty earnings to proper production accounts.
• Provide support for Business Affairs projects (i.e., income analysis, royalty estimate, Soundscan search).
• Generate synch and master use licensing participant statements and make royaltor payments.
• Reconcile royalty income and expense accounts. Generate quarterly income dashboard.
• Download and import royalty statements from various providers.
• Vendor maintenance (i.e., add new vendors, input address changes, add banking info).
• Request mechanical licenses for MGR releases.
• Provide supporting documentation for Audit group as needed.
• Knowledge of record royalty accounting, music publishing splits and mechanical licensing.
• Proficiency in Excel with a firm grasp of Pivot Tables and Vlookup functions, experience using Counterpoint, SAP/ARIBA financial systems and Nielsen SoundScan
• Ability to extract provisions from music contracts and calculate royalty obligations (including treatment of advances, recoupment, break-even analysis)
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios
Sony Pictures' global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies.