Director, Performance Media Group
Sony Pictures has been successful in evolving its approach to media and marketing, building a best-in-class data foundation and launching an in-house Digital Media Buying team. Over the last 2 years, this team has been entrepreneurial at its core: laying the foundation of new internal marketing functions while growing and evolving to support the needs across Sony's Theatrical business. As our landscape has changed, so have the needs of the business, which has led to the expansion of the performance media function. Today this group activating campaigns for many groups under the Sony umbrella, including Home Entertainment, Television, and Distribution. The incoming members are expected to have start-up mentality (ambitious, hands-on, etc.) – and a desire to build the future digital-first workforce of Sony Pictures.
The Director, Performance Media will be responsible for leading a team of performance specialists and guiding strategy for all performance channels on a selected group of Theatrical, Home Entertainment, and Television titles. This role will work closely with the media strategy team to ensure that the performance strategies and tactics fit in with the larger media and marketing objectives. On a broader scale, the Director will be tasked with working closely with platform and agency partners to implement new and innovative forms of activation and measurement. Furthermore, the Director will collaborate with the Executive Director on adopting new technologies, enhancing team workflow, and providing inputs on overall structure. The Director will experience great success in this position if they are:
• Decisive – this role will need to provide performance media direction (Programmatic, YouTube, Paid Social, Paid Search and Connected TV) to team and make dynamic campaign and budget decisions on respective titles providing direction and making strategic decisions across performance media campaigns
• Strong Communicator – while this position manages an execution team, the individual will be expected to have strong interpersonal skills and will be asked to provide campaign and industry updates on a regular basis. In addition, they will need to provide rationale on their campaign, audience, platform recommendations
• Passionate Leader – individual must be passionate about the performance space and leading/developing a group to deliver unique and effective campaigns.
For success in this role, it is imperative the Performance Media Director be ambitious, self-starting, disciplined and curious across all verticals of performance media. He/She must be equipped with strong quant skills, monitoring performance signals/data across complex campaigns from end-to-end, with hands-on-keyboard from time to time as needed. Additionally, he/she must show strong leadership potential and entrepreneurial spirit – someone eager to dive into the challenges & rewards that will come with building Sony Pictures' performance function from the ground up.
The Performance Media Director will not only be responsible for effective oversight of performance campaigns, but also will support integration of these tactics within a broader Theatrical, Home Entertainment, TV lifecycle campaigns, managing and interweaving verticals of Programmatic/YouTube and Paid Social/Paid Search into the overall cross-channel campaign strategy. The Director will work to establish an operational foundation across multiple performance platforms, as well as supporting individual campaign strategy and execution. Detailed responsibilities include:
• Performance Champion - The Director will need to be an expert across all performance platforms, advocating for strategic best-practices, and educating campaign stakeholders on the overall digital/ad tech landscape. This individual will be asked to Identify new platforms, partners, and integrations, evaluating these (and existing platforms) over time and maintaining a strategic POV and partner/platform roadmap.
• Team Development – in addition to leading campaigns, the Director will also be responsible for the cross-training of the managers and associates in the performance pod. Goal will be for each member to be well-versed and experienced in all performance platforms
• Campaign Planning – the Director will be responsible in delivering a unique performance strategy on each campaign, this includes developing a platform mix, and implementing tailored audience and creative tactics.
• Team Coordination – the Director will coordinate the complex process of campaign set-up and QA. Ensuring that campaign tracks towards goals, and that all spending is within budget allocations
• Campaign Analytics – the Director will take charge on the development and presentation of weekly and post-campaign performance reporting for the Sony Media team, including analytic output, actionable insights, and visualization.
Oversee channel forecasting, optimization methodologies and test ideation in partnership with Data Analytics.
• Budget Management – Overseeing performance media budgets, managing payment deadlines, actualization, and reconciliation for performance media campaigns.
• Data Focused – work with internal and external team in developing and implementing a robust 1st-party audience/data strategy from numerous proprietary data sources (across the Sony portfolio) leading up to a movie's release.
• Bachelor's degree
• 8-10 years of experience
• Proficient in other MS Office products like Word and PowerPoint
• Advanced experience in working with Excel (e.g. PivotTables, Pivot Graph, Data Table, etc.)
• Digital media/marketing landscape – with a focus on addressable media
• Hands-on executional experience with planning and managing large-scale paid social and programmatic activity across performance platforms
• Extensive knowledge in technologies such as DV360, FB/IG, Snapchat, Twitter, Verizon, TTD, AAP, or GDN
• In-depth knowledge of media planning fundamentals e.g. reach & frequency, ad formats, etc.
• Proven track record managing high campaign volume, large budgets, complex strategies, and driving quantifiable results
• Cross-channel media strategy: the skills to connect performance media plans to larger Sony Media objectives
• Biddable media planning, strategy, and optimization techniques
• Programmatically bought paid social experience desirable
• Experience with Campaign Manager and other 3rd party tracking solutions required
• Analyze and interpret large amounts of data
• Proficient in Excel with an analytical thought process
• Ability to juggle multiple priorities and maintain strong attention to detail
• Develop work processes for junior team members to follow from campaign start to finish
• Articulate complex tech-related issues and educating ranges of audiences
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with cross-function teams
• Excellent communication and presentation skills both verbal and written
• Develop best practices and contribute to SPE knowledge sharing effort
• Work under pressure and with short deadlines across multiple teams with fragmented, vertical (title-by-title) priorities
USA - Culver City - Studio Lot - Burns Bldg
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-re8pj1-3-233-219-62-42 in your application.