Associate Director / Director, Global Business Development
New York, NY
At Sony Music Entertainment, we are passionate about helping our artists succeed in an industry that sees constant change and opportunity for innovation. The Global Business Development & Digital Strategy team is on the front line and we strive to be ahead of the curve and shape how customers connect with the music they love. The team represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills, and we embrace diversity, equal opportunity and progress in a serious way.
You will join a team of data-savvy negotiators who focus on executing distribution partnerships with a variety of digital service providers.
You will start by supporting on negotiations, which includes analyzing deal performance, coordinating with internal stakeholders, and making recommendations for deal terms and structures. You are expected to shortly develop, lead, and execute your own deals directly with SME's external partners. You will have regular opportunities to have a big impact.
This is a rare opportunity to join a fast-growing major music label in exciting times, have influence on music industry evolution and regular exposure to senior management, negotiate content licensing deals that benefit Sony Music's entire artist roster, while closely collaborating with teams across the company and the globe.
What you'll do:
• Support on and directly manage digital content licensing negotiations that align interests among sophisticated business organizations, with a particular focus on innovative start-ups and services.
• Regularly track and benchmark deals performance, and creatively help partners evolve through the changes in the digital music landscape. Prepare internal communication, analysis and financial modelling to ensure effective information flow, informed decision-making, and sharing of best practices.
• Make recommendations regarding new products, licensing opportunities and business models that will deliver new or enhanced revenue streams for SME and SME artists, and advise management thoroughly and concisely.
• Serve as point of contact, source of guidance and support resource for regional and local digital teams for a selection of markets.
• Work collaboratively with a team of negotiators and dedicated business analysts as well as colleagues across multiple functional areas of the business. Build relationships and enhance the overall organization's culture, diversity and performance.
Who you are:
• Undergraduate degree required. MBA from a top-tier program desirable but not required
• A minimum of 1-2 years experience working in digital media, top-tier management consulting firm, investment bank or related capacity
• Very good negotiator with great attention to detail with a keen eye for data
• Excellent problem-solving, combined with great analytical and numeracy skills, creativity and efficiency
• Great verbal and written communications skills combined with interpersonal skills working across multiple cultures
• Passion for music, digital media and innovation is a (big) plus
What we give you:
• You join an inclusive, collaborative and global community where you have the opportunity to fuel the creative journey
• A modern office environment designed to foster productivity, creativity, and teamwork
• An attractive and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & disability coverage, and 401K + employer matching
• Voluntary benefits like company-paid identity theft protection and resources for pets, mental health and meditation resources, industry-leading fertility coverage, fully paid leave for childbirth or bonding, fully paid leave for caregivers, programs for loved ones with developmental disabilities and neurodiversity, subsidized back-up child and elder care, and reimbursement for adoption, surrogacy, tuition and student loans
• We invest in your professional growth & development
Time off for a winter recess