***This position has the flexibility to be fully remote***
Senior Staff Technical Artist, Lighting
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
We are seeking a Senior Staff Technical Artist who will contribute to the technical development of AAA products for game development. The Senior Technical Artist will work with the Tech Art Lead to identify and develop tools and workflow improvements that enable the team to operate efficiently and with maximum flexibility.
• Contribute to the development of lighting tools and processes that help achieve a product's visual style and encourage artistic technical evolution within the studio.
• Creates lighting setups, tools, shaders, and workflows as needed to increase the lighting team's efficiency and work quality.
• Develop efficient lighting solutions that fit within the technical constraints of the game.
• Fix lighting bugs and implement root cause solutions.
• Follow creative direction to implement high quality lighting that fits the visual style of our game.
• Keeps aware of industry trends and technical techniques, evaluates competitive products, and determines areas we can improve or innovate, communicates innovations in a convincing way, and collaborates with the leadership team to develop plans for implementation.
• Provides input on the technical methods to achieve the artistic goals and vision.
• Serves as a technical resource for all phases of production and other studio art needs. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing cutting-edge tools and techniques, and testing new systems or tools. Providing training, transmitting industry related information, and conveying concerns in a constructive way by providing solutions to those concerns.
• Highly proficient in Python. Some knowledge of Qt and C++ is a plus.
• Highly proficient in the use of 3D software to light environment and cinematic scenes.
• Excellent reading and comprehension skills to fully understand complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. The ability to communicate complex processes effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings. The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed in a clear and concise manner.
• Strong time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision. Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex lighting scenes and shaders for game assets and cinematics.
• Strong data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline with attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes.
• Extensive portfolio with examples of current, hands-on work, including lighting environments and characters in a variety of situations. Demonstrating the use of lighting setups and a strong understanding of the lighting pipeline. Multiple examples of high quality lit environments and cinematics.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role's base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role may be eligible for bonus and SIE's top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. Click here to learn more.
This is a flexible role that can be remote, with varying pay ranges based on geographic location. For example, if you are based out of Seattle, the estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
$119,800 - $179,600 USD
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
For more information about our benefits, please visit our Careers site.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqoz1x-3-235-195-196-42 in your application.