Sony Interactive Entertainment
San Mateo, CA
Senior Privacy & Data Counsel
San Mateo, CA
At Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (''SIE'') , the privacy and data law team is focused on solving one fascinating, complex problem: how to effectively mitigate the risk arising from data, while enabling the business to deliver a superior customer experience.
Our approach derives from the insight that this problem, and thus its solution, aren't limited to the traditional bounds of privacy or compliance. Rather, we understand data risks in the context of the technology, organization, and products and services through which the data flows, work with each business unit to develop and implement solutions tailored to their operations, including enabling them to mitigate the risks themselves. To carry this out, our team approaches problems creatively, deeply and broadly. Our team members must be curious, and unafraid of technical, organizational, and legal challenges.
We are offering the opportunity to:
• Play a leadership role by helping develop and drive privacy and data law strategy into an international and market-leading business in video games, digital entertainment, and technology;
• Work on cutting privacy and data issues arising from interactive entertainment software, virtual reality, console and other hardware
• Counsel product teams on development of the PlayStation®Network (including its social network, music, movie, game streaming, and other elements), a platform with over 100 million active users worldwide.
You may be the right candidate if you have the following characteristics:
• You are a strong critical and systems thinker.
• You are interested in the privacy and data issues arising from social networks, virtual reality, video games, or other information and communications tech.
• You enjoy figuring out how data is a part of everything these days.
• You are skilled at maximizing risk mitigation while minimizing business impact.
• You have demonstrable knowledge and experience in:
• Privacy and adjacent laws (i.e. information security, records retention, wiretapping, or data transfers);
• The characteristics of data/information and its lifecycle;
• Privacy and data governance.
We are looking to fill two positions, and your title will be commensurate with your experience and ability (Corporate Counsel or Sr. Counsel), and are looking for a minimum of 5 years solid experience. Your responsibilities will likely include:
• Review business activities that collect, use, disclose, or dispose of data for compliance with law, policy, and best practices.
• Draft consumer notices, intra-company agreements and contract terms, and negotiate data-related contract provisions.
• Develop standardized policies, tools and processes, and implement them (in conjunction with InfoSec, DataGov, etc.) into operations to mitigate data processing legal risks and reduce the volume of one-off reviews.
• Develop and maintain expertise in data law.
• Develop training materials.
All the while, you'll be able to maintain a healthy work-life balance and take advantage of all that the Bay Area has to offer.
Some additional useful or required characteristics:
• Practical, self-motivated and resilient.
• Experience leading the formulation of legal advice across global markets.
• Superior ability to influence and persuade across business, technical and support functions within a large, multi-national corporation.
• Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and bring initiatives to conclusion.
• JD or LLM degree from top law school; CA bar membership preferred, but minimally, California Registered In-House Counsel status must be promptly obtained and maintained during employment.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.