Data Science Manager
San Mateo or San Diego, CA
The Data Strategy & Operations (DSO) team has grown rapidly over recent years in response to a growing need for the business to use data to inform and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. Currently there are over 100 staff within the global DSO team, made up of high quality Business Intelligence and data professionals covering BI architecture and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, scrum masters and product management.
Due to team expansion DSO are looking to recruit hardworking, highly driven individuals who have excelled in previous roles and are looking for a new challenge in a dynamic and rewarding environment.
Data Scientists in the DSO team apply advanced analytical methods and tools to drive value from the data through techniques such as customer segmentation, predictive modelling, forecasting and other algorithms. Our work delivers an in depth understanding of consumer behaviors and supports multi-channel targeting and personalization.
As a Data Science Manager in our team, you will lead the delivery of a range of data science methods and develop a deep understanding of what makes our business tick. You will supervise the work of data scientists on the team and have line management responsibility to develop and mentor typically between two and five data scientists. You will contribute to the growth and development of the wider team, not only your direct reports.
What you'll be doing:
You will work in our San Mateo or Rancho Bernardo (San Diego) offices in a globally distributed agile team, supporting partners throughout the global in areas such as marketing, operations, CRM, product planning and development, R&D and retail.
Have the interest and aptitude to quickly develop a deep understanding of what makes our customers tick through understanding the data. And you will have the inter-personal and technical skills to work across the business to bring that insight to application.
Be involved in a wide range of analytical project activities: from requirements gathering through data modelling and processing; carrying out segmentation or building predictive models; performing deep insight; presenting findings to partners and building reusable data products through close collaboration with the relevant data engineering teams.
You could have a background in data sciences, consulting, computer science, customer insight or elsewhere, but you will be passionate about turning large volumes of data into meaningful insight and have the blend of commercial and technical skills required to do so.
You will partner with Product Managers in DSO to gather requirements from partners, prepare and present findings to other technical and non-technical teams. You will help drive data literacy across a range of internal teams.
You will work with an outstanding team of data scientists to deliver analytical work, understand customer behaviors and drive innovation in the use of data throughout PlayStation.
Primarily based in San Mateo or San Diego, but a global role supporting colleagues in offices in the US, Europe and Japan. Some global travel may be required, usually to Sony offices in London or Tokyo.
Skills required (essential):
• Exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
• Strong data management and coding skills. You must be able to write production quality code in both SQL and Python, including common data science libraries such as scikit-learn
• A strong academic, numerate background that includes the fundamentals of data science. You will probably have a Masters' degree or PhD in a relevant technical or mathematical field
• Experience applying data science techniques in a commercial environment, including supervised and unsupervised machine learning, time-series forecasting and other statistical analyses
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; including the ability to present detailed analyses to a broad audience range
• Ability to work collaboratively with other business units in order to achieve common objectives
• Experience in line management, supervising work, developing and growing the skills of your direct reports
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships
Skills required (desirable)
• Experience working with data science tooling on major cloud computing platforms
• Experience of visual analytical tools such as Tableau
• Experience of relevant industries (e.g. gaming, digital commerce, subscription services)
• Interest in gaming
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxnbk1-3-236-239-91-42 in your application.