Live Operations Director, Video Game
Los Angeles, CA
Smilegate West Inc. is the North and South American publisher of its parent company Smilegate, headquartered in South Korea. The Company specializes in Free-to-Play online games including CrossFire, and Lost Saga. Founded in 2006 with a goal of becoming a leading publisher and digital media distributor of online video games, the Company is built on the principle that online, community-based video games offer unique and compelling gaming experiences with untapped mass market potential and wide social appeal.
The Toronto office employs a staff of widely-talented and culturally diverse employees, led by an experienced and imaginative management team. In publishing CrossFire, one of the most played online FPS games worldwide, with over 6 million concurrent users and 500 million registered players, currently available in 80 countries including China, Vietnam, North & South America, and Europe, Smilegate West Inc. continues to deliver the highest quality free-to-play game experience through its proprietary gaming portals, Z8Games.
The Manager of Live Operations directs and oversees the LiveOps departments, is experienced in creating and executing detailed strategies for both current & future game titles. Presented frequently with data from the team, this individual is able to analyze relevant data to develop, calibrate, present and implement changes to improve overall performance.
Live Operations Team Oversight and Strategy
• Effect comprehensive and detailed strategies for the continued success of existing games or the successful launch of new game titles,
• Bring industry insight to identify new opportunities or areas of improvement in the game product.
• Oversee the day-to-day workload of the Live Operations team, providing guidance and direction as required. Resolve any escalated issues from the team.
• Communicate frequently with the Live Operations Director and Headquarters regarding new products or proposed future product proposals
• Review weekly and monthly reports generated by the Live Operations team capturing KPI trends and adjusting strategies to meet KPI targets.
• Identify potential errors or inconsistencies in reported data and investigating these areas for concern
• Provide coaching, guidance and training to the LO team, ensuring employees feel set up for success in their roles, and monitoring and evaluating performance informally and formally
• Project staffing needs and work with Human Resources to recruit talent as required
• Develop and present product strategy and plans to the Live Operations Director and Headquarters
• Develop and submit various reports as requested by the executive level and Headquarters
• Manage various operational requests as they arise
• Participate in or lead miscellaneous corporate initiatives
• Contribute insights for various initiatives to the executive level to assist in decision-making process
• Directly oversee and manage operations for all current and other future projects
• Create and deliver performance reports for all active projects to HQ and all stakeholders
• Analyze and understand the current progress of live products in order to maximize user engagement and satisfaction
• Live Operations team
• Prospective Partners and Vendors
• Fast paced environment with pressure
• Friendly environment whereby colleagues are helpful and collaborative
• Multiple priorities at any given time requiring a high-level of organization and time management
Position Outcomes/Objectives and Standards of Performance
1. Games are managed seamlessly by the Live Operations team and new content is well vetted.
There are minimal user disruptions and issues are dealt with in a timely manner. Live Operations team is equipped with the knowledge and tools to perform their role successfully.
Live Operations team communicates with HQ to provide feedback, recommendations, and conducts QA on new content as well as proposed content from HQ.
2. Regularly generated reports by the Live Operations team is interpreted and analyzed to extract meaningful data. Data is rolled into strategic plans for both departments.
Reports are generated and presented on a regular basis capturing key qualitative and quantitative data. Reports are analyzed for trends, successes, failures, and red flags, and communicated to the team to steer the direction of their objectives as the year progresses.
Key data trends are captured in the report shared with HQ to support the Company’s direction.
3. Direct reports are performing to the best of their ability, and are set up for success in their roles.
Employees feel they have the tools they require to be successful, receive adequate guidance and mentoring from their Manager, and are clear of their role and objectives.
Issues are dealt with in a timely and appropriate manner (or escalated to HR as required), and recruitment needs are forecasted in advance.
4. Managing various projects and initiatives to ensure quality and scope.
Managing projects to ensure milestones are achieved according to projected timelines, budgets are respected, projects are of high quality, and completed within the overall proposed scope.
5. Incumbent demonstrates behaviours aligned with the organization’s values, vision and mission statement.
Feedback from stakeholders and team members confirms that incumbent consistently demonstrates actions aligned with the company’s values.
Required Behaviour, Skills, and Knowledge
Qualifications and Skills
• 5-7 years of production experience in AAA game(s); shipped multiple AAA titles
• Expert knowledge of the video game industry and its current trends
• Highly flexible and able to adapt to rapidly changing conditions
• Experience with F2P, online games, live games is an asset
• Experience with console games (Xbox) or pc games is an asset
• Strong analytical skills
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and last-minute deadlines under pressure
• Experience with AAA FPS games is an asset, but is not mandatory
• $100,000 - $150,000+
• Competitive Health and Dental Benefits
• Competitive Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal Days, Sick Days, Family Leave)
• Professional Growth
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkkx7p-35-170-64-36-42 in your application.