KOMONews.com is looking for a Digital Journalist who can manage KOMONews.com while also identifying, reporting and posting content across our digital platforms that will resonate and engage our online audience.
• Will shoot, write and post content exclusively to KOMONews.com as well as for on-air broadcasts.
• Insatiable desire to find and report news along with knowing how to spot content that can resonate with the audience on all platforms.
• Ability to learn master proprietary content management systems in order to post/update digital content.
• Still photography and basic photo editing.
• Videography and basic editing on AVID systems that will be posted to our digital platforms.
• Clean, clear writing and a mastery of AP Style.
• Creating/writing post for sharing on social media platforms.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work independently while in the office and out in the field.
• Able to communicate and work well with a team while also being able to work independently and with minimal direction when necessary.
• Ability to interpret a wide variety of sources, including but not limited to press releases, social media posts, government statements and court rulings, and be able to seamlessly report/post online news content/stories from that source.
• Flexible schedule, including working weekends
• College degree required
• Three (3) years (minimum) writing for news organizations required.
• Must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced newsroom, juggling push alerts, live video, writing and added elements to stories while being able to conceive/implement posts for social media – all while communicating with web and TV reporters/producers/Assignment Desk.
• Post breaking news stories and video to digital platforms with accuracy and speed.
• Review wires, feeds, news partners (CNN and ABC News) other news sources, social media and the internet for content to round out local, regional and national coverage on site.
• Be able to quickly and accurately communicate with TV and Web managers about digital issues/trends/developments.
• Identify stories/content/video that can drive engagement and audience growth across KOMO's digital platforms.
• Compile, edit, write news stories from a variety of sources -- including but not limited to KOMO-TV, the wet, social media, wire services and press releases – with an emphasis on delivering breaking news quickly and accurately.
• Enterprise, report and write local news stories that have clear, compelling headlines while in the newsroom and/or out and about in the metro area.
• Work with editors, reporters, producers and managers across all KOMO platforms to quickly post information while looking for video that can be uploaded and posted to KOMO digital platforms.
• Brainstorm, research and create web extras to accompany news stories.
• Produce multi-faceted online stories giving consideration to relevant related text, video, images, audio and external links.
• Maintain the highest journalistic standards.
• Must learn and demonstrate quick mastery of push alerts in order to disseminate KOMONews.com to digital users.
• Manage and support existing daily online newsletters while thinking strategically about new newsletters that can grow user base and increase site traffic to KOMONews.com.
• Able to learn and teaches new tools to tell a story.
• Reviews and maintains all sections of the site and makes periodic recommendations for improving site appearance and content.
• Suggests new approaches to covering stories and presenting information for digital formats.
• Searches for new and better ways to promote KOMONews.com content, especially sections targeted for growth.
• Be an idea generator for content that can driver engagement to digital from on-air and back.
• Be an evangelist for KOMO's digital platforms within and outside the station in order to stoke interest in our digital platforms.
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj2exe-3-236-122-9-42 in your application.