New York, NY
We're Showtime (part of the ViacomCBS family) and we have some of the most groundbreaking original programming in the industry, including Emmy and Golden Globe winners like Homeland, Ray Donovan, Billions, Shameless and Dexter. This position is within the company's Product team, where we manage SHOWTIME our stand-alone OTT streaming service, and Showtime Anytime, our TV Everywhere offering.
As part of the Product Data and Analytics team, you will help us establish and maintain the integrity of a precious resource - our data -- by trying to break it. Using your ingenuity and understanding of our business, you will attempt to find gaps, errors and inconsistency in data collections related to program viewership, subscription lifecycles and more. Ideally, you have university or work experience mining and validating large data sets, you can be both detail-oriented and aware of the business' big picture, and you get excited about the prospect of creatively devising tests to expose data flaws. To do this, you will need to have better-than-working knowledge of SQL, or another programming language (R, Python, Matlab) and preferably some experience with Hive/Spark.
What you will do:
• Act as a bridge between Data Engineering and Data Science
• Develop detailed knowledge of the SHOWTIME and Showtime Anytime KPIs and their relationship to user behavior.
• Fully understand Showtime's business rules in importing and creating data collections.
• Use queries and other methods of data analysis to certify changes to data while validating new data collections.
• Partner with product managers, engineers and analysts to determine the root cause of issues interfering with gathering accurate data and prioritize resolution.
• Write test cases, develop automation strategies, and use tracking tools to file, monitor and resolve data issues.
• Communicate clearly and frequently with all team members, stakeholders and project/product owners impacted by test and troubleshooting results.
What you should bring:
• Experience addressing issues of data integrity; ability to mine and validate data across structured and unstructured data sets
• Moderate to advanced SQL, Python R or Matlab experience with the ability to seamlessly query multiple data sets
• Experience writing automated test-cases and data validation processes with Python or R is a significant plus
• Good communication skills and a healthy sense of humor
• An unwavering attention to detail and the ability to persist/follow up on issues that require input from multiple people in order to be resolved
• Strong documentation skills with the ability to log and concisely express technical data issues
• Experience working with Jira, the Linux command line, and version control is a plus
What you will gain:
• Potential to expand your technical or data modeling/science skills and gain experience with institutional distributed computing technology
• Exposure to enterprise-scale data pipelines written in Scala and/or automated production jobs used for data science and analytics
• Participate in building the future of television while getting to play with some great tech
SHOWTIME continues to make its mark across the cultural landscape with one of the most successful programming lineups in television - featuring critically acclaimed original series, provocative documentaries, box-office hit films, comedy and music specials and hard-hitting sports. SHOWTIME has an unparalleled roster of hit original content, including some of the top scripted series in cable: SHAMELESS and BILLIONS. The network is the home to rich, bold and inventive storytelling in series like THE CHI, THE L WORD: GENERATION Q, CITY ON A HILL, WORK IN PROGRESS, BACK TO LIFE and BLACK MONDAY, along with limited series THE GOOD LORD BIRD, YOUR HONOR and THE COMEY RULE. Unscripted programming includes the brand's first ever late-night talk show, DESUS & MERO. Recent lauded docu-series and documentary films include COUPLES THERAPY, LOVE FRAUD, OUTCRY, THE REAGANS, KINGDOM OF SILENCE and BELUSHI, as well as Emmy®-winning news series VICE and political documentary series THE CIRCUS.
FUNCTION: Software Engineering