Who We Are
SAG-AFTRA is the iconic American labor union that represents approximately 160,000 media professionals. SAG-AFTRA employees support our members and thrive on securing the strongest protections by negotiating the best wages, working conditions, health and pension benefits. We preserve and expand members' work opportunities, vigorously enforce our contracts and protect our members against unauthorized use of their work.
Leads and directs the daily functions of the Residuals Claims department, providing support, guidance and direction to managers and team members. Accountable for the implementation of all related initiatives and policies; identifies and enacts process improvement in departmental functions and practices. Provides guidance and counsel throughout the department, the Union and to external parties with regard to contract interpretation on residuals topics.
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• Implement departmental and Union residuals policies
• Oversee the claims process and department staff, including initial inquiries, claims activity and settlements.
• Interpret the various collectively bargained and promulgated SAG-AFTRA agreements and set department policy on enforcement of those agreements, including providing guidance/contractual interpretations to inquiring companies and members.
• Oversee the workload of the residuals claims Support Staff, Business Representatives and Management, including facilitating establishment of goals, objectives and activities.
• Lead and manage the department and staff, including ongoing training and development, coaching, addressing staff conduct and performance evaluations, as well as recruitment and hiring of new staff as circumstances dictate.
• Oversee and coordinate with department staff, Financial Assurances and Legal regarding residuals calculations and extrapolations.
• Manage the day-to-day operations of the department
• Coordinate with the Residuals Analysis Department, Financial Assurances and Legal regarding claims in conjunction with bankruptcies or Tri-Guild audits.
• Execute declarations and testify at arbitrations
• Support in preparations and participate in negotiations with the AMPTP and for various other collectively bargained and promulgated agreements.
• Attend conferences and seminars to represent the Union
• Perform other duties as assigned.
What You'll Need
We want to make sure you're successful. To be considered, you must have:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
• Proven management experience with the demonstrated leadership ability to effectively manage and develop team members.
• Responsible; self-directed; proactive; excellent follow-through; detail-oriented.
• Maintain high-level expertise on collectively bargained and promulgated SAG-AFTRA agreements.
• Creative problem solver.
• Superlative interpersonal skills: high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds both internally and externally.
• Able to organize, prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks under daily deadlines.
• Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Must be able to work in a very challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Must be available and willing to work such hours per day or per week, including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
• Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
• BA degree in related field with 5 years of relevant experience
• 3+ years of management experience.
• Extensive experience with collective bargaining agreements required.
• Knowledge of entertainment industry required.
• Background in contract interpretation and enforcement a plus.
• or a Paralegal certificate from an American Bar Association approved program preferred
• Experience working in a union environment is highly desirable.
*The Employer reserves the right to add, delete or change tasks and responsibilities within each job description. Further, in order to maintain efficient operations, work assignments may be redistributed on a short and long-term basis.
What You'll Get
We are a great place to work because we offer:
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d9344m-3-236-222-124-42 in your application.