Business Representative (Background Actors)
Who We Are
SAG-AFTRA is the iconic American labor union that represents approximately 160,000 media professionals. SAG-AFTRA employees support our members and thrive on securing the strongest protections by negotiating the best wages, working conditions, health and pension benefits. We preserve and expand members' work opportunities, vigorously enforce our contracts and protect our members against unauthorized use of their work.
What You'll Do
The Business Representative will provide excellent member service through contract interpretation and enforcement. This individual will advocate for background actors working under a SAG-AFTRA entertainment collective bargaining agreement, answer questions and make contract rulings for members, producers, studio executives, labor attorneys, casting agents and other industry professionals; as well as investigate, file and resolve claims.
(This section provides a general summary of the most significant job duties performed. It does not explain in detail every single duty performed.)
• Provides producers, members and their representatives with information regarding SAG-AFTRA Agreements.
• Researches, investigates and files claims for non-compliance, and follows them through to resolution.
• Answers contract questions, interprets and enforces contracts.
• Participates with the Legal department in arbitration preparation and by giving testimony during proceedings.
• Participates in stakeholder committee meetings and events.
• Performs payroll audits when required.
• Represents SAG-AFTRA through participation in workshops, seminars, film festivals, panel discussions and other speaking engagements in the industry, and with Background Actor groups and committees.
• Participates in meetings with producers.
• Various special projects, research and other duties as assigned.
What You'll Need
We want to make sure you're successful. To be considered, you must have:
(The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.)
• Able to communicate effectively in English; both verbal and written form.
• Negotiating skills.
• Must have comprehensive mathematical knowledge and abilities.
• Must have the ability to read, understand and interpret contracts.
• Independent problem solving and analytical skills.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft office products (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
• Must be customer service oriented and have the ability to interact well with members, performers, studio management and staff with discretion and diplomacy.
• Superlative interpersonal skills: a high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic and collaborative relationships with people from diverse backgrounds, both internally and externally.
• Hold yourself and others accountable for a high level of performance and integrity.
• Have an understanding and awareness of worker rights impacting SAG-AFTRA members.
• Detail oriented.
• Ability to handle stressful situations and de-escalate concerns as appropriate. Ability to work well under pressure and prioritize tasks with multiple deadlines.
• Capable of taking direction from more than one supervisor.
• Must be able to work in a very challenging environment where constructive feedback from others is encouraged.
• Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined at SAG-AFTRA's sole discretion
• Must be available and willing to work extended hours (and/or overtime for applicable non- exempt positions) per day or per week, including weekends and holidays, as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary to meet its business needs.
• Must be available and willing to travel to such locations and with such frequency as SAG-AFTRA determines is necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
• Undergraduate degree or a combination of 5 years of education and experience in a labor relations or entertainment environment preferred.
• Knowledge of Oracle is preferred.
• Legal knowledge/experience a plus.
• Juris Doctor degree a plus, but not required.
What You'll Get
We are a great place to work because we offer:
• Colleagues that are passionate about what we do and how they contribute to our mission
• Balance between work and home life responsibilities
• Affordable and comprehensive medical and dental plans
• Generous pension plan
• Employee discounts and perks
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-re54z8-35-172-223-251-42 in your application.