Rocksteady Studios is looking to add to its family of permanent staff. We are looking for an exceptionally talented Lead Dev Ops engineer, ready for the challenge of producing AAA games, to grow and lead our Dev Ops team.
Rocksteady is in full production of Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, the next blockbuster AAA title from the studio behind the world-renowned Batman: Arkham series.
The Dev Ops team is responsible for how Rocksteady makes games!
We integrate new versions of the Unreal Engine and coordinate the upgrade process with the Core Engine, Rendering, AI and Art teams. The Dev Ops go/no-go process gates release of these updates to our 200+ person dev team in the UK, and hundreds of development partners around the globe.
We oversee source control in cooperation with IT, managing all branches and the branching strategy to keep the codebase stable. We own the integration process for development and release streams, providing tools and expertise to assist all teams with merging their changes between branches, and advising Production with risk assessments of latecomer changes for milestone builds.
We establish the development process for each target platform, and continually refine our tooling to improve developer efficiency. With head revision syncs in the hundreds of GB, and supporting devs working from home with temperamental internet connections, this is a particularly interesting challenge.
We manage the build farm – the beating heart of the studio. This houses a vast array of mission critical jobs, from 100+GB playtest builds multiple times per day for QA, to game Editor releases several times per hour for Design, to rapid turnaround continuous compilation jobs every few minutes for Code – all requiring vigilant monitoring, and judicious scheduling to achieve maximum development velocity.
And there's always more! Cloud-based crash reporting pipeline, metrics gathering, new tools, scripts and automations, hardware budgets and upgrade plans, supporting individual team members – Dev Ops is always on the lookout for new technologies, and new talent, with the potential to transform how we work at Rocksteady!
• Grow, lead and look after the Dev Ops team – conduct 121s, find and bring veteran talent to the studio, train and inspire industry newcomers to be the best
• Advocate Dev Ops best practices – apply your knowledge of the latest software engineering technologies to improve game development efficiency at Rocksteady and developer QoL
• Prepare and maintain Jira backlogs, sprint/phase plans, and Confluence documentation
• Assist in coordinating product development and release branches in Perforce for a large C++ codebase – tool assisted integration pipelines, scheduling to meet milestone deadlines
• Oversee the TeamCity automated build system – develop our build farm strategy leveraging cloud and on-prem, bare metal and VMs for maximum efficiency and throughput
• Coordinate Unreal Engine upgrades – working closely with Production, Code and other teams
• Prepare for and support live phase with efficient tooling (including crash report systems, log aggregation and development metrics)
• Oversee planning and development of additional Python/C# tools to efficiently support post-launch release schedule (build preparation scripts, crash reports, log aggregation and development metrics)
• Manage and participate in the Dev Ops on-call rota.
Beneficial Skills & Experience
• Strong knowledge of Perforce, or similar version control system
• Practical experience with TeamCity, or similar CI/CD pipelines
• Familiarity with C++ and writing portable code
• Good understanding of Python, C#, or other scripting language
• Experience participating in code review
• Experience with Unreal Engine an advantage
• An understanding of developing for the main gaming platforms an advantage.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• A positive, active, and contributing team member
• To be proactive and helpful to the wider team with ad-hoc problem solving
• To be able to work independently: organised, with good time management skills and appropriate prioritisation of tasks
• An enthusiasm for improving all aspects of software engineering with better tools and practical solutions
• A passion for games on all platforms.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0w27m-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.