Senior Systems Designer (New Game Incubation Team)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order, and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We're looking for a highly skilled Senior Systems Designer to join our team working on the early stages of a new project. You will work with creative direction and the Game Director to develop the vision of the game systems (economy, progression, etc.) from the early stages. You understand how game systems fit together, how they can make a game engaging, and how they can empower players.
What you'll do...
• Develop gameplay systems with a focus on longer-term loops and player motivation.
• Write design documents and plan execution on features to support the creative director's vision.
• Create understanding and enthusiasm for designs by presenting them, explaining them in different forms, and taking feedback from the team.
• Create and guide prototypes that answer important questions about a design.
• Implement new features and content and develop them to completion, using our in-house tools and visual scripting.
• Oversee the global balance and difficulty curves of the game, supporting diverse player skill levels and play styles.
• Work with the team across the disciplines to identify risks early and develop features and content to a high level of quality.
• Collect and use qualitative data (playtest, usability, and customer feedback) and quantitative data (telemetry and analytics) to inform your designs.
• Manage a small team of designers, reviewing their work, providing relevant feedback, and helping them to succeed and grow their skills.
• Coordinate with other designers, project leadership, and other disciplines.
Ideally, you will have...
• At least 5+ years experience in the games industry working as a Systems Designer, shipping at least one title.
• Experience with Unreal Engine 4 is ideal.
• Experience in rapid prototyping to test the feasibility of concepts.
• Expert System Design sensibilities, including a player-focused grasp of timing and instincts of what feels right. Deep understanding of the game-play systems and mechanics, able to pro/con design decisions and the ramifications they will have on the overall experience.
• Excellent collaborative communications skills - especially interdepartmental.
• CS degree is a plus.
• A passion for first-person shooter games is a major plus
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj2om0-3-236-170-171-42 in your application.