Senior Lighting Artist (Apex Legends)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
We're looking for a highly skilled Senior Lighting Artist to join our Apex team. Reporting to the Lead Lighter, the senior lighting artist will help create incredible real-time rendered lighting which meet the vision for the gameplay experience. Our ideal candidate has sensibilities pertaining to real-time rendered Lighting both technically and creatively, and is experienced as a member of a game development team (or a team that develops within a game engine) with a focus on creating Lighting. We are picturing someone with a passion for fun gameplay and the ability to both inspire and create, who can embrace our game development philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
Applicants must be able to fulfill these job responsibilities:
• Collaborate directly with the Lighting Director and World Art Leads to drive visual quality and narrative standards and contribute to production processes and scheduling.
• Collaborate directly with Designers, Technical Artists and Engineers to define tools, workflows, technical standards and achieve project design requirements for lighting.
• Create style guides, in-engine prototypes, documentation and presentations for emergent lighting systems and features.
• Create content for high-level presentations and marketing materials.
• Assume ownership of select lighting systems and features. Will include driving aligned development with other domains, scalable solutions for diverse technical requirements across platforms, continued maintenance and evolution of systems and knowledge-transfer to the lighting team and domain leads.
• Collaborate with the Lighting Director to define Release and Sprint goals for the lighting team.
• Collaborate with the Lighting Director to drive day-to-day lighting reviews and actively participate in reviews with the project Art Director and other content groups.
• Stays current with and exhibits strong technical understanding of state-of-the-industry and best-of-class game lighting, tools, techniques and workflows and shares findings with the lighting team.
• Suggests selection of software and hardware solutions for the lighting team to use in their workflows.
Skills and Experience
Candidates should have skills and experience in the following areas:
• 4+ Years experience on Video Game production teams.
• Strong aesthetic and technical lighting skills/knowledge.
• Experience lighting in a game engine (Unreal, Snowdrop, Unity, etc.) with Physically Based Rendering pipelines.
• Experience creating and presenting pre-production materials (style guides, concepts, mood boards), lighting prototypes and tools and workflow documentation.
• Experience identifying innovative tools and technology for production and defining efficient workflows/pipelines.
• Experience creating lighting content from pre-production through final in an intermediate to senior role on multiple shipped console/PC titles.
• Experience shipping titles on at least 2-3 generations of consoles and/or platform targets (e.g. Gen 3, 4, 5, Switch, mobile, etc.) and experience creating scalable content for multiple performance targets.
• Experience creating dynamic lighting for a wide variety of lighting scenarios (interior, exterior all times-of-day, cinematic shots, etc.), weather conditions and aesthetic styles.
• Experience defining and/or creating debug and optimization processes.
• Strong understanding of lighting foundations including visual composition, light and color theory, photographic principles and storytelling techniques.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4x4zy-54-174-225-82-42 in your application.