Senior Motion Designer
New York, NY
Senior Environment Concept Artist (Star Wars Team)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond.
Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
We're looking for a highly skilled Senior Environment Concept Artist to join our Star Wars team. Our ideal candidate has a proven track record of creating stunning and beautiful environments through visually appealing and well-crafted concept pieces. In this role you will create artwork that inspires game designers, informs world builders, and helps set the visual tone of the game. The primary focus of this role will be environmental design, but may also include creation of character concept pieces, UI design, and marketing materials. We are picturing someone with a passion for game development and the ability to both inspire and execute, who can embrace our game development philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
What you'll do...
• Work closely with Art Directors and other departments such as animation and game design to make sure concepts fit within vision for the game.
• Create everything from early inspirational to final detail concepts and props to support internal and/or external teams.
• Provide concept artwork that may include anything from loose speed paintings to polished key art to 3D paintovers.
• Ensure that artwork fits within the look and feel of the world.
• May be asked to create artwork beyond environmental design, such as mood/reference boards, style guides, color keys, marketing art, etc.
• Follow schedule and deliver assets on time.
• Help mentor other artists and lead by example.
Ideally, you will have...
• 5+ years' experience as a Concept Artist in the game industry on a shipped title. Shipped AAA game(s) preferred.
• Experience working on a third-person action/exploration game is a plus.
• Well-rounded portfolio showcasing your work, with a focus on beautiful and inspirational environment concept art pieces and examples of production sketches focused on solving specific problems. Portfolio should show quality, taste, and an eye for visually compelling, immersive environments.
• Strong ability to design both interior and exterior environments, from furnished occupiable spaces to grand vistas.
• Strong understanding of composition, leading the eye with light, staging, proportion, scale, value, perspective, lighting, and color.
• Strong design and illustration skills.
• Mastery of standard art packages such as Photoshop and related software. Experience with Maya and/or Unreal a plus.
• Additional concept art skills a plus (characters, matte painting, etc.)
• Strong traditional and/or 3D art skills are a plus.
• Basic understanding of 3D art, experience creating designs to be translated into 3D.
• Ability to handle critique and fearlessness in the face of feedback. You can take a change in direction as an opportunity to improve a design and you pivot quickly; the more feedback you receive, the more you can tailor your work towards what is best for the game.
• Ability to self-critique as needed.
• A positive, solution-oriented attitude. Open-minded, with a willingness to learn.
• Enjoyment in the process of taking a project from inception to completion.
• Passion for making and playing games.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed!
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dyxovq-3-236-212-116-42 in your application.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.