Senior Environment Artist (Apex Legends)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
Apex Legends is looking for an Senior Environment Artists to come join us in fleshing out the Apex Universe.
• Creating worlds and environments, from individual assets through to entire levels or sets.
• Deconstructing concept art and style guides into initial grey-blocks and asset breakdowns.
• Ability to take constructive feedback from the Art Director, Lead Artist, and Senior Artists and act on it in a timely manner.
• Collaborating with Designers and other domains, to ensure levels and assets support the gameplay.
• Creating final assets, maximizing opportunities for reuse, modular construction, and technical efficiency.
• Terrain creation, using heightfields, modeled elements, and using object scattering/placement tools.
• Set dressing levels, conveying a sense of depth and storytelling.
• May have some experience with perforce and ability to troubleshoot technical challenges as they arise.
• Constructing briefs, assembling reference material, and overseeing work of other artists.
• Mentoring more junior staff.
• 5 or more years of production experience, creating Environments.
• Asset creation abilities across a broad range of subject matter, e.g. hard surface/architecture / organic assets/vegetation.
• Experience creating complex terrains, using hand-authored and/or procedural workflows and tools.
• Ability to paint photorealistic PBR surfaces, ideally using Substance Painter.
• High fidelity modeling skills (using Maya or similar), as well as high-to-low poly baking experience.
• Experience breaking down levels/scenes into efficient asset sets and components.
• Knowledge and experience with content-driven game engines (e.g. Unreal, Frostbite, Unity, GtkRadiant).
• Experience with Proprietary Game engine and assets.
• Experience collaborating directly with designers, engineers, and Tech Artists.
• Photogrammetry and Substance Designer experience is a plus.
• Experience briefing, delegating and directing work to other Artists (working with external / OS vendors is a plus).
• Examples of levels and assets that were created/owned from start to finish.
• Sets, assets, and environments that demonstrate an understanding of, real-world construction, material properties, and organic wear and tear.
• Work examples demonstrating composition and visual storytelling skills.
• Examples of assets and/or levels that demonstrate effective world-building and content creation processes, including modular construction and efficient distribution of detail.
• Clear breakdown of what you did for each work example shown.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv5x17-44-201-94-72-42 in your application.