Principal Hard Surface Artist (Star Wars Jedi Team)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide.
Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond.
Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
We're looking for an experienced Principal Hard Surface Artist to join our Star Wars Jedi team. The Principal Hard Surface Artist will oversee complex and difficult hard surface challenges, will lead by example, and will maintain and enhance the quality bar for assets produced by the department. You have experience as a principal, lead or senior member of a 3D art team, is passionate about modeling everything with a hard surface (vehicles, guns, props, etc.), and has a strong grasp of functionality, with in-depth knowledge of how mechanical things work. In addition to a demonstrable ability to create high quality, believable models, we want to see that you have a flair for elegant texturing -- i.e., you think carefully about where to place wear and scratches, and you use just the right amount. We are picturing someone with strong mentorship and artistic sensibilities, who can embrace our game development philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
What you'll do... .
• Create diverse, high-quality hard surface assets for use in the game.
• Work closely with Lead Hard Surface Artist and other departments such as Concept Art, Design, Animation, and VFX to make sure assets meet the vision for gameplay and final execution, and the requirements of the gameplay experience.
• Maintain best practices, quality bar, pipelines, tools, and processes for the department.
• Organize and pioneer research and development efforts aimed at improving the Hard Surface art pipeline, tools, and processes.
• Serve as advocate for the department's goals, needs, and desires. Remove roadblocks, raise red flags, etc.
• Help set quality bar through hands-on creation of highly detailed and believable 3D hard surface assets for use in-game.
• Develop, motivate, and mentor team members. Create opportunities for challenge and growth.
• Inspire the entire department to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and work with all other connected departments.
• Follow schedule and deliver assets on time.
• Play an important role in the recruiting efforts of the department, including screening, interviewing, final selection, and offer decisions.
• Seek to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and to improve processes.
Ideally, you'll have...
• Previous experience as a Principal, Lead or Senior Hard Surface Artist/3D Artist in the game industry on a shipped title.
• 7+ years' experience as a 3D artist is ideal.
• Experience working with a game engine and implementing assets into the pipeline.
• Experience working on a third-person action/adventure game is a plus.
• Portfolio of highly detailed 3D assets with a focus on hard surface assets, showcasing both modeling and texturing work. Portfolio should show quality, taste, and the ability to hit a photorealistic/believable look.
• Mastery of standard software packages such as Maya, Photoshop, and Zbrush.
• Strong understanding of scale, proportion, and surface properties.
• Experience working with a game engine and implementing 3D work into engine.
• Character modeling skills a major plus.
• Ability to both receive and deliver constructive criticism.
• Strong people skills. Empathy for addressing the problems of others, respect for others' time.
• Passion for making and playing games.
• Shipped AAA game/s a plus.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! You can read more about these at respawn.com/perks.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqyek1-44-200-74-241-42 in your application.