Principal Cinematic Animator (Star Wars FPS)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
In collaboration with Lucasfilm, the Star Wars FPS Team is developing a new AAA FPS in the Star Wars galaxy. Inspired by classic titles like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, our story-driven single player game is being developed from the ground up leveraging the power of Unreal Engine 5. We're combining this inspiration and technology with Respawn's pedigree for making best-in-class shooters to deliver a brand new experience our players will love.
Our Star Wars FPS team is looking for a highly skilled Principal Cinematic Animator who will embrace our philosophy and share their hard-earned expertise to create an incredible Star Wars experience for our players. We're picturing someone who will help us tell stories and express emotions through remarkable animations and gameplay. If this sounds like you, we're looking forward to seeing your resume!
What you'll do…
• Reporting to the Animation Director you will play a key role as Principal Animator on the Cinematics Team.
• Working together with the Animation Director and Tech Animation Lead, be the driver in the creation of a robust Facial Pipeline and Facial Rigs.
• Work closely with the Animation Director to create the facial appeal library for each Hero character.
• Working with the Animation Director in assigning animations to the team and provide video kickoffs.
• Be the animation liaison between outsource partners and the cinematics and skits team.
• Be a strong mentor to the cinematic and skit animation teams, be able to give feedback to strengthen work and share knowledge.
• Animate high quality character performance for Cinematics and Narrative content using Maya and Unreal 5
• You will be responsible to make sure the body and facial animation looks 1 to 1 from Maya to Unreal in runtime.
• You will be responsible to give crucial feedback to the Tech Animators and other cross discipline departments to achieve high quality facial and animation in runtime.
• Work closely with the Development Director and Lead Cinematic Artist in scoping the narrative animation content for the game including both skits and cinematics.
• Represent anything related to character animation for the Performance and Motion Capture shoots.
• Work with multiple departments such as Character Riggers, Character Artist, Cinematic Artists, Designers and Tech Animation.
Ideally, you will have…
• 7+ years professional animation experience in Cinematics.
• Solid understanding and passion for cinematics and storytelling in games.
• Expert level skills in facial and full body performance animation for both hand keyed and mocap.
• Experience in the development of facial pipelines and knowledge of the latest tech and methods.
• Experience with Performance Capture facial pipelines.
• Strong understanding of Body mechanics on humanoid and fantasy characters
• Very strong key framing ability.
• Ability to adapt to realism in style.
• Shipped a AAA game as a Senior or Principal Cinematic Animator.
• Have a strong understanding of camera visual language and composition.
• Outstanding ability to problem solve. and drive creative solutions
• Experience in working closely with other disciplines and departments to create the best animation possible.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! You can read more about these at respawn.com/perks.
US COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these states. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the base salary range and benefits for your specific location.
EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Salary offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.
BASE SALARY RANGES
• California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento):
º $131,600 - $213,300
• New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo):
º $131,600 - $213,300
• Jersey City, NJ:
º $154,800 - $213,300
• Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs):
º $131,600 - $179,600
• Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane):
º $131,600 - $195,200
Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. We also offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6j41j-44-200-117-166-42 in your application.