Lead Technical Game Designer (Singleplayer Incubation Team)
We are looking for an experienced Lead Technical Game Designer to help build a brand new Respawn singleplayer adventure. Our ideal candidate is well-versed in game design but with a strong CS background and the ability to own and expand on systems written in a robust, C-style scripting language.
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. This guiding principle is reflected in Respawn's day-to-day development ethos of trust, autonomy and freedom to experiment in ''finding the fun'' to make extraordinary and unforgettable experiences for our players. You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
This new singleplayer title is a designer's dream playground with a freedom to innovate made possible by the unique universe it inhabits. Our critically acclaimed, multi-platform games have always established a ''fun comes first'' sensibility in a design process that allows creativity and new ideas to shine.
What You'll Do…
• Have a direct hand in shaping a new game from the ground up. The project is in its early stages and you will take ownership of substantial ideas and features from blue-sky conceptualization to shipped game.
• Use your creative, scripting and technical skills extensively to create and maintain high-quality gameplay components, mechanics, systems and tools.
• Collaborate with other disciplines to implement core game systems, ensuring they make for the best possible gameplay experience. You are comfortable with technical subjects and are able to articulate and implement complex system architectures and collaborate with the code department frequently.
• Support and grow your teammates through knowledge-sharing, debugging assistance, training, and technical documentation where necessary.
• Develop and advocate best practices to the content team and create long-term plans for content and system implementations.
• At Respawn we cater to individual strengths and we are always looking for raw talent, regardless of specialization or breadth of expertise. Technical Designers with broader interests in overall mission design, enemy and friendly design, combat, cinematics/narrative and other parts of the game are still strongly encouraged to apply.
• No crunch or overtime. We don't glorify this behavior.
Ideally, you will have...
• 6+ years professional experience as a technically-oriented Game Designer.
• Fluency in one or more text-based scripting or programming languages.
• Experience developing and managing complex game systems.
• Strong communication skills, ability to self-schedule and drive features with support from design and code leadership.
• Experience in rapid prototyping and iterative design.
• Comfort level with various level editing packages (proprietary, Unity, Unreal, etc.) is a big plus, especially if you authored custom features or plug-ins to improve content pipelines.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3k1vq-3-231-230-177-42 in your application.