Lead Concept Artist (Star Wars Team)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond.
Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
We're looking for a highly skilled Lead Concept Artist to join our Star Wars team. As Lead Concept Artist, you will oversee the creative efforts of the concept art team, will lead by example, and will set the quality bar. Our ideal candidate for this position is highly experienced with game development workflows, and has a proven track record of creating stunning and appealing concepts for characters, environments, and everything in between. In this role you will create artwork that inspires game designers, informs world builders, and helps set the visual tone of the game. We are picturing someone with a passion for game development and the ability to both inspire and execute, who can embrace our game development philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
What You'll Do…
• Supervise Concept Artists and ensure the quality of the team's work is at a high level.
• Collaborate closely with Game Director, Art Director, and departments such as game design, narrative, and animation to deliver concepts that inspire and fit within vision for the game.
• Set the quality bar for the department through hands-on creation of concepts--everything from early inspirational to final detail concepts and props to support internal and/or external teams. Artwork may include anything from loose speed paintings to polished key art to 3D paintovers. May be asked to create artwork beyond character or environmental design, such as mood/reference boards, style guides, color keys, marketing art, etc.
• Serve as advocate for the department's goals, needs, and desires. Remove roadblocks, raise red flags, etc.
• Collaborate with leads in other departments to ensure good communication and solid working relationships between departments.
• Develop, motivate, and mentor team members. Create opportunities for challenge and growth.
• Inspire the entire department to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and work well with other departments.
• Work with production staff to establish realistic schedules and deadlines, and demonstrate accountability towards adhering to schedule.
• Conduct monthly one-on-ones with direct reports, participate in performance review and other people management related processes.
• Play a critical role in the recruiting efforts of the department, including screening, interviewing, final selection, and offer decisions.
• Seek to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and to streamline processes.
• Support and maintain department standards, and guide process enhancements for the Concept Art pipeline as needed.
Ideally, you will have.. .
• 7+ years' experience as a Concept Artist, with prior experience as a Lead artist.
• Ability to lead by example, in both quality of work and professional conduct.
• Previous games industry and shipped AAA game(s) preferred. Experience working on a third-person action/exploration game is a plus.
• Well-rounded portfolio showcasing your work, with a focus on beautiful and inspirational concept art pieces and examples of production sketches focused on solving specific problems. Portfolio should show quality, taste, and an eye for visually compelling, immersive environments.
• Strong ability to design both interior and exterior environments, from furnished occupiable spaces to grand vistas.
• Strong ability to design appealing characters, creatures, props.
• Strong understanding of composition, leading the eye with light, staging, proportion, scale, value, perspective, lighting, and color.
• Strong design and illustration skills.
• Familiarity with Star Wars.
• Mastery of standard art packages such as Photoshop and related software. Experience with Maya and/or Unreal a plus.
• Additional concept art skills a plus (characters, matte painting, etc.)
• Strong traditional and/or 3D art skills are a plus.
• Basic understanding of 3D art, experience creating designs to be translated into 3D.
• Ability to handle critique and fearlessness in the face of feedback. You can take a change in direction as an opportunity to improve a design and you pivot quickly; the more feedback you receive, the more you can tailor your work towards what is best for the game.
• Ability to self-critique as needed.
• A positive, solution-oriented attitude.
• Enjoyment in the process of taking a project from inception to completion.
• Passion for making and playing games.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed it.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! You can read more about these at respawn.com/perks .
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rez1v8-3-230-144-31-42 in your application.