Lead Character Designer (Legends)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide.
Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
Apex Legends is looking for a Lead Game Designer who will help us create exciting and innovative new characters. You'll work closely with all departments to plan, design and guide new Legends from early prototype through release. We are a studio that values creative ownership and candid feedback and a Design Lead should embody those traits.
You should have experience on a live service game in character design OR first person shooter design, and have strong enough technical and scripting abilities to work independently. You should have a strong suite of game development best practices (bug management, self scheduling, feature scoping, etc.) and be enthusiastic about upholding those best practices across the team.
You'll be leading a team of character designers and will have some management responsibilities. One on one's with your team will ensure you build the relationships necessary to work tightly as a unit.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with some of the most creative and talented people in the industry and put your stamp on Apex Legends.
What You'll do...
• Work closely with a team of passionate developers from all disciplines to create new playable characters for Apex Legends for many seasons to come.
• Create and maintain high-quality gameplay systems in script.
• Collaborate with other disciplines to implement core game mechanics and assets, ensuring they make for the best possible gameplay experience
• Support and grow your teammates through knowledge-sharing, debugging, mentoring and training.
• Set priorities and goals for your work and the work of the Legends team.
• Maintain your own bug list.
• Help set goals and plans for future Apex legend releases, working closely with all departments to ensure cohesive themes.
• Playtest the game (a lot) and be proactive in feedback for all features, not just Legends.
• Develop and advocate best practices for the Legend team
• Lead design reviews and proactively guide the team towards good solutions to design and development problems.
• Propagate and drive a culture of creative ownership, candid feedback and a safe working environment.
• Work with others on side projects to make Apex a better game.
Ideally, you will also have...
• 5+ years of experience as a technically-oriented game designer, with multiplayer experience
• At least one shipped AAA game
• A strong understanding of competitive integrity in a multiplayer game.
• Experience designing characters in a multiplayer game.
• Proficient in text-based scripting or other programming languages
• A strong desire to creatively collaborate with many different people with many different views.
• A friendly disposition!
• Enjoy playing Apex Legends, understand what makes it work, and can discuss it in depth.
• Strong opinions on how we could improve and a drive to accomplish them.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rjwj5b-18-207-157-152-42 in your application.