Senior Level Designer
Los Angeles, CA
Senior Level Designer (Star Wars Team)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com'/studio.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Level Designer who will embrace our philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to help us create an incredible experience for our players. Reporting to our Lead Level Designer, you will design and guide the creation of levels from concept to final stages of polish, We're picturing someone with strong level design abilities and experience overseeing their levels through all stages of development, who will work closely with other accomplished developers to deliver compelling levels that our players will love to play.
What you'll do…
• Work with design leadership, design team, artists, code, and animation departments to create level designs that epitomize the creative vision of the game.
• Research subject matter relating to the design objective to ensure the authenticity of the experience.
• Manage level designs from conception to the final stages of polish, facilitating communication and coordinating departments to ensure the vision is clearly understood.
• Be a positive influence on the entire team and as a Designer, evangelizing the ultimate promise to deliver ''fun.''
• Embrace feedback as a means to progress, both in self-critique and outside critique. The more feedback you receive, the more you can tailor your work towards what is best for the game.
• Help establish and enforce consistent design best practices, constraints, and metrics throughout projects.
What do we look for in Level Designer candidates?
• Design Sensibilities and Insight. Our designers value having discussions with each other to better understand the intentions and level of success in their designs. We'd love for you to be able to articulate why you made the decisions you've made in your own designs - what worked well, what you would change in hindsight, and what you learned. We also value your ability to analyze and break down, from a designer's perspective, the aspects that work well or don't work well in games you've played and why.
• You've Made Stuff You Are Proud Of. Whether it's professional or personal work, we'd like to see gameplay in your portfolio that you developed from concept to finish. We like to see portfolios that showcase strong game design skills - sensibility, compelling and thoughtful level design, documents, etc. If your portfolio includes work that you developed as part of a team, we'd like to know the specifics of what you contributed versus what was handled by others.
• Passion. We look for game designers who are highly passionate. Our team is always sharing inspiration and working to raise the quality bar. No one is phoning it in here – our team loves what they do and it shows in their work.
• Potential Over Experience. We value talent over years of experience. Experience counts, but potential is important too. We look for talented, highly-motivated people with a strong sense of design and a keen eye for quality.
• Teamplayer. Positivity and a great attitude help to fuel greatness. The ability to accept feedback and critiques will help you tailor your work towards what's best for the game. We look for designers who demonstrate a willingness to keep an open mind to team members' ideas, incorporating suggestions to tailor your work towards what's best for the game. Making games is a group effort and you will work closely with other talented departments that are experts in what they do. Teamwork is very important to our success.
Ideally you will have…
• 5+ years' experience in the games industry working in a level design capacity, shipping at least one title. Experience that includes a shipped AAA game(s) is ideal.
• Experience working with a game engine, using scripting tools to orchestrate events, and implementing 3D work into the pipeline.
• Deep practical knowledge of level design process including level flow, engagement, structure, pacing, environmental storytelling, and testing.
• Experience in rapid prototyping to test feasibility of concepts.
• Strong understanding of level editing packages such as Maya, Unity, UDK, or other proprietary tools.
• A portfolio or otherwise detailed breakdown of examples of your work, showcasing the above.
• Competency in pitching game design concepts in a clear, detailed manner, through strong written and verbal skills.
• A team-oriented approach to your work, understanding the importance of collaboration, and partnering effectively with all departments.
• Willingness to master new tools and techniques.
• Passion about the play experience, with a wealth of knowledge across a wide range of games.
• Passion for making and playing games.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com'/perks.
Electronic Arts Inc. is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. EA develops and delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, mobile devices and personal computers.