Lead UX'/UI Designer (Star Wars Team)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
We're looking for a skilled and experienced Lead UI'/UX Designer to join our Star Wars team. Reporting to our Game Director, the Lead UI'/UX Designer will oversee the creative efforts of the department, manage the needs and goals of their team, and set the quality bar for visual experience design. Our ideal candidate is experienced as a lead or senior member of a UI'/UX team and is passionate about the player experience above everything else, with a broad range of skills including typography and layout, color theory, and branding. We are picturing someone with great artistic and UX design awareness and expertise, who can embrace our game development philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
What you'll do...
• Manage the UI'/UX team and ensure the quality of the department's work is at a high level. Lead by example.
• Work with the Game Director, Art Director, and other departments such as Game Design, Code, Audio, and Animation to make sure the visual design experience meets the vision for gameplay and final execution, and that UI'/UX assets and features meet the requirements of the gameplay experience. Create beautiful looking UI and graphic design elements which compliment what the others on the team are creating.
• Maintain best practices, quality bar, pipelines, tools, and processes for the department.
• Organize and pioneer research and development efforts aimed at improving the UI'/UX pipeline and processes.
• Advocate for the department's goals and desires. Remove roadblocks and raise red flags.
• Partner with leads in other disciplines to ensure collaboration and working relationships between departments.
• Help set quality bar through hands-on creation of UI assets for use in-game.
• Create game menus, HUD elements, in-world graphic design, logos, iconography systems, and motion graphics.
• Develop, motivate, and mentor team members. Create opportunities for challenge and growth.
• Inspire the entire department to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and collaborate effectively with other departments.
• Actively self-critique and accept outside critique. The more feedback you receive, the more you can tailor your work towards what is best for the game.
• Play an active role in the recruiting efforts of the department, including screening, interviewing, final selection, and offer decisions.
Ideally, you will have...
• 7+ years' experience as a Senior UI Designer, Visual Designer or Graphic Designer. Shipped AAA game'/s preferred but open to relevant level of experience outside of games.
• Experience leading others by example, in both quality of work and professional conduct.
• Experience working with a game engine and implementing UI artwork into the pipeline.
• A comprehensive portfolio showcasing your work. Portfolio should show quality, taste, and an eye for modern, innovative, and aesthetically appealing graphic design work.
• Proficiency in designing menus, user interfaces, logos, and other visual displays for games, movies, or websites.
• Exceptional graphic design and 2D art skills.
• Mastery of illustrator and good knowledge of vector art.
• Major bonus points: passion and experience in motion graphics and UI animation.
• Experience receiving and delivering constructive critique.
• A strong sense of responsibility and accountability.
• A caring attitude and ability to inspire positivity within their team. oriented in your work and with others.
• Empathy for addressing the problems of others, respect for others' time.
• A collaborative and proactive work ethic. Can produce high quality artwork with little supervision.
• Passion for making and playing games.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed!
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com'/perks.