Lead Character Artist (Apex Legends)
Respawn Entertainment is a AAA video game development studio that aspires to create new hit games that leave a lasting impact for gamers worldwide. Our work includes the critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends and Titanfall franchise. We developed the Star Wars™ action-adventure game Jedi: Fallen Order and virtual reality game Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond, and we are continuing development for our live free-to-play game, Apex Legends.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We are seeking a Lead Character Artist who is passionate about creating high-quality, stylized realism character art and is eager to join us in our desire to push quality to the next level. As a Lead Character Artist at EA/ Respawn, you will help the dev team create more legend characters to life. This role will report to our Character Art Director based in our studio in Los Angeles, California. You'll be working closely with the Character Art Director and collaboratively with the developers on the character pipeline. We are considering on-site and hybrid working options and welcome full-time remote candidates in the Pacific Time Zone.
• Assist the Character Art Director to drive and maintain high visual quality of character models
• Sculpt high-resolution characters, create clean game topology, UV's and textures for character assets
• Character assets quality control for the team
• Collaborate with Production to organize, schedule, and manage the character art team's daily activities
• Collaborate with character artists and other disciplines to create appealing characters, creatures, character skins
• Support character concept and design
• Partner with engineers and tech artists to improve character art pipeline
• Lead, manage and mentor the character team through verbal and written feedback
• Deliver feedback to Respawn external team to maintain art style alignment and quality for the IP
• Troubleshooting for the character team and project
Skills We Look For:
• Previous character lead or experienced senior artist within a game production environment and has a game developer mindset
• Excellent understanding of anatomy, weight and silhouette
• Versatile skill set for a broad range of art styles
• Experienced stylized realism art, shape language a plus
• Experience in playing Esport Games, shooter games
• Art assets optimization for games
• Game engine experiences
• Strong Maya or similar 3D modeling software
• Expert sculpting skills using Zbrush from scratch
• Expert knowledge of PBR texture/material workflows
• Experience with Substance Painter
• Understand rigging and skinning
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Passion for collaboration with other departments, artists, designers, and programmers
• Team player and ability to work as part of a team
• R&D experience
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gw1z6n-34-239-154-240-42 in your application.