Art Director (New Game Incubation Team)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We are looking for an experienced and knowledgeable Art Director to join our New Game Incubation Team. Reporting to the Game Director, the Art Director will oversee the efforts of the Art department, will lead by example, and will set the quality bar for the department in providing support to our Art teams and acting as a gateway between code and Art. Our ideal candidate will have experience as a leading member of a game industry art team with the technical abilities to lead and guide crucial pipeline and tooling decisions. They are passionate about meeting in-game and production needs through tools development and enhancements to optimize workflows, and have a strong grasp of the artists' perspective combined with technical savvy. We are picturing someone with demonstrable leadership and problem-solving sensibilities, who can embrace our game development philosophy and share their hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players.
What you'll do...
• Lead the Art team and ensure the quality of the department's work is at a high level.
• Work closely with the Game Director and other Leads within Art and Code to make sure tools and support features meet the vision for production needs and execution.
• Establish and maintain best practices, quality bar, pipelines, and processes for the department.
• Preserve, improve, and document our current set of Art tools.
• Troubleshoot and prioritize artist issues with tools and art creation workflow.
• Work with engineers to get features running and test before main production.
• Work closely with engineers, artists, and designers to pinpoint game performance and memory usage issues.
• Organize and pioneer ongoing department research into new software to facilitate more efficient content production.
• Serve as an advocate for the department's goals, needs, and desires. Remove roadblocks, raise red flags, etc.
• Collaborate with leads in other departments to ensure good communication and solid working relationships between departments.
• Develop, motivate, and mentor team members. Create opportunities for challenge and growth.
• Inspire the entire department to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and work with all other connected departments.
• Follow schedule and deliver work on time.
• Play a critical role in the recruiting efforts of the department, including screening, interviewing, final selection, and offer decisions.
• Seek to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and to streamline processes.
Ideally, you will have...
• 7+ years' games industry tech artist experience. Prior experience as an Art Director on a AAA game team and at least one AAA shipped title is preferred.
• Demonstrable ability to lead by example, in both quality of work and professional conduct.
• Portfolio that demonstrates relevant art experience in games as well as understanding of technical concepts (tools, pipelines, etc.)
• In-depth expertise on relevant 3D and 2D software packages (such as Maya, Photoshop, and Zbrush.)
• Strong understanding of game engines and technical integration pipelines. Experience with Unreal Engine is a major plus.
• Ability to talk about R&D, how you evaluate and test new tools and software for use in development.
• Strong understanding of pipelines and how to optimize them.
• Ability to both receive and deliver constructive criticism.
• A strong sense of responsibility and accountability.
• A positive, solution-oriented attitude. Ability to inspire positivity within their team and trust with other departments.
• Strong people skills. Empathy for addressing the problems of others, respect for others' time.
• Passion for making and playing games.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6px79-3-227-235-216-42 in your application.