Senior Beauty Writer/Stories Creator
About the Refinery29 Editorial team:
Refinery29 is a leading digital newsroom serving young people: The reporting, op-eds, and service journalism we produce interrogates norms, solves real-world problems, champions creativity, and demystifies the forces that disempower us. Our staff produces empathetic, rigorous, and necessary journalism that informs, clarifies, entertains, and educates.
We are a fast-paced digital brand. As such, our diverse staff has strong news instincts and solid reporting skills, and abide by the principles of integrity, innovation, and inclusivity.
About the role:
This is an exciting opportunity to shape the future of storytelling for the beauty team at Refinery29. In this role, you will be responsible for taking our award-winning beauty news and service content into the future as you expand the team's reportage into both on-site and off-platform formats including VMG's newly developed Stories Studio, which publishes on Google Web Stories, TikTok, Instagram Stories, Snapchat, and more.
What you'll do:
• Write about 1-5 articles a week both on and off platform (output dependent on the type of reporting involved, the news cycle, and your manager's discretion) that reflect a highly sophisticated level of reporting, access, and writing.
• Have the judgement and instincts to know which stories would be best told on which publishing platform, and to be able to execute in a variety of storytelling formats that take into consideration differences in audience, tools, and functions.
• Identify and execute enterprise stories that break editorial ground, serve fundamental reader needs, contribute to commercially viable intellectual property, and help establish Refinery29's position as a cultural thought leader and resource
• Collaborate with external and internal teams including but not limited to content strategy, social referral, newsletter, multimedia, and off-platform social teams to ensure your articles reach their intended audience. This involves working within next-gen storytelling platforms like Google Web Stories and TikTok to execute digital journalism in new formats.
• Grow and maintain a robust network of top-tier primary sources. Identify and foster key talent relationships for coverage opportunities.
• Be a leading authority in at least one clearly identified beat that is also aligned with the business goals of the company - this will involve attending and covering events, forging and nurturing relationships with industry leaders, and gaining access to closed-door conversations for the purpose of breaking news (comped time off will be provided for any mandatory work that needs to be completed during weekends and off-hours)
• Serve as an external spokesperson for Refinery29 at industry events, functions, and panels to increase public awareness around your work and the newsroom's mission and projects
• Establish editorial norms, provide resources and support, and serve as a mentor and guide for both the editorial team and the company at large
To be successful here you are:
• Energized by working in a fast-paced, creative newsroom
• Collaborative, a team-player, and comfortable with giving and receiving feedback
• Ready to adapt to an ever-changing environment and industry
• Curious, courageous, and careful about the work
• In agreement with journalistic principles and ethics to maintain your personal editorial independence
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d28bq5-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.