Staff Software Engineer – Network Engineering
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
As a part of Sony Interactive Entertainment, the Future Technology Group (FTG) team is leading the cloud gaming revolution, putting console-quality video games on any device! We are looking for passionate software engineers who are fascinated by the technologies behind the Internet and cloud computing.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Network team, you'll play a key role in the design and development of server-side applications and systems for network automation in a large geographically distributed infrastructure.
• Provide domain direction and influence overall strategy of projects/products.
• Gather functional requirements and develop technical specifications.
• Review and consult on designs by other engineers.
• Architect major features, frameworks, sub-systems while modeling high standards for testable design and automation.
• Ownership of the implementation, and delivery of features/components from start to finish.
• Work closely with team members and product owners to identify areas for product improvement.
• Proactive root cause analysis for reported issues
• Communicate estimates, schedules, issues, and dependencies to technical or project lead.
• Define and craft integration tests with Test Engineering teams.
• Continually bring new ideas and insights about technology to the engineering team
• Mentor other team members on standard development methodologies
• Advocates software craftsmanship and takes pride in their work.
• BS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant development experience
Required Skills & Knowledge
• Strong proficiency in Java
• Strong proficiency in Python
• Proficiency in Unix/Linux programming environments
• Advanced knowledge of distributed systems architecture and cluster computing
• Strong Knowledge in both NoSQL and Relational Data Stores
• Strong understanding of concepts such as concurrency, parallelism, and event driven architecture
• Knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, Consul, and other CNCF technologies
• Knowledge of Web technologies including REST, JSON, gRPC, and WebSocket
• Intermediate knowledge of version control tools such as git and GitLab
• Knowledge of TCP/IP and network programming
• Familiarity with continuous integration and deliver.
• Familiar with Agile development environment
• Gamer is a plus.
• Enjoys working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
• Strong communication and documentation skills
• Contribution to the open-source community is a plus (i.e. blogs, source code, etc)
• Experience with Kafka is a plus.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role's base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE's top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
The estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.
$167,300 - $250,900 USD
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj136b-44-200-82-149-42 in your application.