Senior Media Project Manager
Sony Interactive Entertainment
San Mateo, CA
Software Research Senior Lead
San Mateo, CA
Sony Interactive Entertainment's Consumer Insights team is responsible for examining and understanding the gaming consumer and marketplace in order to generate the kind of exceptional and actionable insight and analysis that drives and supports the development of great ideas across PlayStation. The Consumer Insights team, divided into areas that represent principal elements of PlayStation's business, is looking for an individual to serve as our primary researcher in the area of software. Specifically, our Software Research Senior Lead will be responsible for the management, implementation, analysis, reporting, and creative presentation of various forms of consumer research, analysis, and other strategic initiatives related to video game software.
As a member of the Consumer Insights team, this person's fundamental role within PlayStation will be to help answer essential, and often expansive, business questions. To do this, this person will be expected to collaborate with internal and external partners to study the subject matter of those questions in great detail and lead the construction of fair and meticulous answers that maximize the business's understanding and ability to act. Within the Consumer Insights team, the Software Research Senior Lead is part of the larger Software & Services Research group. That group supports busines questions related to the first- and third-party software, digital commerce, games services, and entertainment services as well as emerging areas of the business, like eSports and Gamers as a Service.
To occupy this critical position, we are looking for someone with a demonstrable, contemporary, and advanced level of knowledge of both consumer research and the video game industry. This person must have a high degree of comfort managing complex qualitative and quantitative research initiatives through all project phases. Ideally, this person should also possess a verifiable track record of helping organizations develop and act upon consumer research and analysis to drive both near- and long-term business strategy and success.
The Software Research Senior Lead, as with all members of the Consumer Insights team, is a strategic leader and trusted adviser to teams across Sony Interactive Entertainment. To do this successfully, this person will be expected to represent the voice of the consumer, using a deep and broad understanding of their needs, behaviors, and motivations to help PlayStation make the best choices possible. The ideal candidate should value and be skilled in the application of both data and storytelling, understanding that each needs the other to be truly transformative. The ideal candidate should have a passion for research and be inspired to push the discipline to new and innovative places. And finally, the ideal candidate should be excited to learn more about video games, those who play, and related areas of digital entertainment each and every day.
Key Function and Responsibility of the Role:
• Represent the voice of the consumer in terms that are relevant to and drive more informed choices within the business
• Leverage Sony Interactive Entertainment's investment in primary and secondary research to derive insights and provide strategic leadership to internal stakeholder groups
• Design and execute globally-appropriate research projects, leveraging best practices wherever possible
• Manage research partners and other resources to design, field, report, and present best-in-class research projects
• Help identify future growth opportunities, unmet consumer needs, and market whitespace
• Provide strategic counsel to key stakeholders both within Sony Interactive Entertainment and at the organization's key external partners
• Build reports and presentations that leverage research observations and insights across projects to communicate larger themes across the organization
• Support an environment of feedback and learning across the Consumer Insights team
• Monitor project budgets, ensuring that funds are spent responsibly, tracked meticulously, are directed at the questions most valuable to the business, and do not exceeded budgeted totals
• Work with global stakeholder groups related to Software & Services to identify key areas of needs, and establish customer knowledge as a critically beneficial ingredient of their respective successes
Required Technical Skills:
• Demonstrable ability to lead multiple, simultaneous, complicated qualitative and quantitative ad hoc global research projects, in a timely, cost effective, and successful manner.
• High levels of proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, and cross-tabulation portals and/or analytical software (e.g. SPSS, SAS, R, Tableau, etc.)
• Expert-level knowledge of qualitative research and reporting methodologies relevant to the practice of Consumer Insights (e.g. grounded theory, discourse analysis, content analysis, ethnography and participant observation, narrative interviewing and analysis, advanced visual methods of reporting, production of video deliverables, etc.)
• Expert-level knowledge of advanced statistical and analytical methodologies relevant to the practice of Consumer Insights (e.g. Choice Modelling, MaxDiff, TURF analysis, derived importance, etc.)
• Minimum three years of experience in a similar Consumer Insights function related to the Video Game industry, with at least five years of experience in research or data analysis
• Advanced degree or higher in Statistics or similar quantitative field of study (e.g. Math, Economics, Engineering, Physics, etc.) strongly preferred but not required
Required Professional Skills:
• Proven ability to represent qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, analysis, and insights clearly and concisely to senior-level decision-makers and executives, whether it be good or bad news
• Exceptional reporting and presentation skills with a demonstrable ability to effectively communicate through beautiful written reports, compelling presentations, succinct summary documents, clear and concise emails, and any other way you could imagine
• Success working for or managing relationships and administrative processes with multiple research suppliers and agency partners
• Extremely organized and detail-orientation, with a penchant for data accuracy
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.