Lead Character Artist
Sony Interactive Entertainment
San Diego, CA
Senior Materials Artist
San Diego, CA
This is a long-term contracted assignment with our contractor Yoh Staffing with a high likelihood of extension.
Sony PlayStation's Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to PlayStation Studios such as Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, Bend Studio Guerilla Games, and more! Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry's best minds and companies.
You're a creative and passionate artist who lives for world building and crafting textures and materials that tell a story within the game environment. You're inspired to achieve only the highest of quality in your work and want to contribute to the artistic vision and development of the industry's most anticipated AAA games.
We are looking for a highly talented and motivated Senior Materials Artist to work on an unannounced AAA project. Come work with our Art Lead and Studio Art Director to create both in-game and in-game cinematic quality materials within a range of styles.
Your ability to build materials from both detailed concepts and a single photograph is required.
• Create realistic game-ready physically based materials to project specifications.
• Build and maintain internal PBR material library. Assist with maintaining technical and quality standards.
• Collaborate with production artists on creating materials for in-game use.
• Create organized material workflows in Substance Designer and Painter.
• Problem solve production challenges with creative solutions.
• Ability to document production workflows and mentor production artists.
• Evaluate scope estimates to ensure material assets are in line with project schedules.
• Work with Environment Lead to revise and respond based on feedback for both aesthetic and functional purposes
• At least 5 years' experience as an Environment Artist, with 2 shipped AAA titles
• Strong understanding of PBR materials and workflows.
• Expert knowledge of Substance Designer and Painter workflows.
• History of strong understanding of game development with a focus on materials.
• Proficient at sculpting surface details and controlling shader features that represent a wide variety of material types
• Ability to work in new game engines and add material assets to game engine.
• Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and High Resolution Texture baking.
• Ability to unwrap UVs for texturing meshes and lightmaps in Autodesk Maya.
• Experience optimizing games for performance and memory.
• An advanced understanding of in-game and in-game cinematic art asset creation
• Shader authoring a plus
• Photogrammetry experience a plus
• Experience working with external outsource vendors
As a part of the PlayStation application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test, in addition to a phone screen.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services.