Senior Character Outsource Review Artist (Contract)
This is a contracted position through our staffing partner DZConneX with a high likelihood of extension.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
PlayStation Studios Visual Arts (PSSVA) is a passionate team within the PlayStation family providing world-class content, development, and services to PlayStation studios all over the world. Always at the cutting edge of technology, Visual Arts works with studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games, Insomniac Games, and more first-party partners. Our team is made up of game and film industry professionals working with some of the best minds and companies around.
If you're an experienced character artist looking to support AAA projects involving in-game and cinematic quality characters in a range of styles, we want to speak to you!
• Review outsourced characters and character assets across a variety of projects and styles.
• Review/manage and integrate external vendor assets into the game engine.
• Work with clients and supervisors to communicate feedback on aesthetics and function.
• Maintain and update external character guidelines and documentation per project.
• Collaborate across disciplines (concept, rigging, etc.) to ensure form, function and technical requirements are met.
• Test characters/assets in-game to assess aesthetics and performance.
• Evaluate estimates to ensure vendor schedules are in line with internal project schedules.
• Create and/or modify existing hard surface and/or organic assets as necessary.
• When required, create in-game art assets to Visual Arts and client specifications.
• 5+ years as a character artist or character art reviewer, with at least 1 shipped AAA title.
• Ability to review asset creation and provide clear and constructive feedback to external outsourcing vendors.
• Excellent understanding of in-game character art asset creation.
• Advanced understanding of: Maya, Zbrush, Marvelous Designer, Substance 3D Painter, Photoshop, and other comparable software.
• Ability to use in-game technology to finalize assets.
• Can optimize assets for technical performance while retaining high quality visuals.
• Experience integrating characters into game engines: (Unreal, CryEngine, etc.).
• Developed understanding of in-game art asset creation including hard-surface props, soft, rigid assets such as clothing items, weapons, etc.
• Experience working with external outsource vendors and/or scan artists.
• Experience crafting realistic characters and some experience creating stylized characters.
Who we are:
The Visual Arts is dedicated to providing the highest quality artistic support to first-party Sony game teams as well as other teams developing titles for the PS5. We offer dozens of services, including asset scanning, actor scanning, body motion capture, facial motion capture, motion edit, animation, facial tracking and solving, and lighting. The Engineering team supports all the production pipelines that the Group offers. We tackle a broad swathe of technical issues to allow artists to work as efficiently as possible.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwjvxj-3-229-117-149-42 in your application.