We are looking for a Data Engineer to join the Data Strategy and Operations team within the Sony PlayStation environment.
A Data Engineer is required to work within the Data Management team with the successful applicant responsible for the design, development and maintenance of the data processing platform. They will be required to fit into a highly skilled team and work with limited supervision, under their own initiative.
The successful candidate will be eager to learn new tools and techniques; while the main ETL tool is Ab Initio, knowledge of different technologies is a definite advantage.
Based in our London offices, the team provides business intelligence services for various global business units associated with Sony PlayStation.
What you'll be doing:
• Design and coding of complex data processing modules
• Ensure code is fully scalable, maintainable, and performant
• Completion of technical assessments and impact analysis to determine level of effort of the work requested
• Take on technical ownership of a work stream, be the subject matter expert and managing risks and issues
• Performance tuning of code and review of fellow developer's code to confirm adherence to best practices
• Mentoring of more junior members of the team
• Work with Project Managers and Business Analysts to ensure the timely delivery of project deliverables that meet requirements
• Requires ability to work in a global and multi-cultural environment. Team members are in multiple geographies, resulting in time constraints due to time zones differences and a requirement for occasional travel
What we are looking for:
• At least 5 years' experience of developing in Ab Initio, covering multiple components of the product suite
• Skilled in UNIX, including shell scripting, admin and utilities
• Highly skilled in SQL and a variety of database technologies
• Experienced in programming languages, for instance C and Python, Spark
• Experience working on projects that are rich in data complexity and volume
• Considerable experience in a similar role, with proven expertise gained in challenging, business critical projects
• Must have eligibility to work in the UK and travel to US and Japan
• English: Fluent
Skills Required (essential):
• Demonstrable experience in developing large-scale data processing platforms
• Extensive experience throughout the software development lifecycle
• Interpersonal skills including presentation, negotiating, conflict resolution, etc.
• Strong communication skillsets. It is vital that the successful candidate can explain complex technical issues in non-technical terms to business stakeholders
• Ability to multi-task and prioritise within parallel development cycles and aggressive timelines
• Knowledge and experiences of SDLC methodologies e.g. Agile, Waterfall
• Strong troubleshooting and problem solving ability
• Skilled in business requirements analysis with ability to translate business information into technical specifications
• Eager to learn
Skills Required (desirable):
• Knowledge of data warehouse appliances, e.g. Snowflake, Teradata
• Understanding of other data processing technologies
• Familiarity with data modelling concepts
• Discretionary bonus opportunity
• Private Medical Insurance
• Dental Scheme
• 25 days holiday per year
• On Site Gym
• Subsidised Café
• Free soft drinks
• On site bar
• Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxv0p1-44-210-237-158-42 in your application.