Corporate Counsel - Safety & Moderation
San Mateo, CA
Sony PlayStation is seeking an experienced and hardworking Corporate Counsel to support the Global Consumer Experience (CX) team.
Global Consumer Experience (CX) provides global services, including customer care, digital commerce support, and online platform moderation. Their focus is to build and retain brand loyalty by representing the exciting and unique entertainment ecosystem available on PlayStation.
This person must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven track record to act as an effective counsel. The best candidates will have broad legal knowledge of the international laws and regulations impacting a major online social platform and possess subject matter expertise to provide nuanced and informed legal advice. This is an excellent opportunity to advise a goal-driven team and to work on cutting edge issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
• Counsel PlayStation's Vice President of Global CX on consumer services practices, product development, deployment of innovative tech enhancements, and research initiatives to address safety and other platform risks.
• Vet new products and tools for legal and compliance risks related to online safety during product development or pre-acquisition phase and drive risk mitigation efforts.
• Advise on legal, regulatory requirements, and developments affecting online safety efforts relating to enforcement of PlayStation Network's Terms of Service and Community Code of Conduct.
• Notify the teams that respond to legal demands to disclose user data and for content removal, including requests from governmental entities and private parties.
• Provide advice on legal issues and consumer-facing communications related to consumer experience, grief reports, account maintenance, closures or suspensions, and product returns or refunds.
• Collaborate with team members in other regions regarding alignment of policies and operationalizing legal requirements.
• Provide comments on legislative proposals from governments that impact PlayStation's content moderation policies and obligations to produce user data to law enforcement and government entities.
• Build user-facing communications regarding guidelines, self-help and user-based reporting remedies, and protocols for the issue of terms of service violations and removal of illegal content.
• At least 5 years' relevant experience, working as counsel in a technology company that has an online platform.
• JD or LLM degree and active membership in good standing in at least one US state bar. California State Bar membership is preferred or must acquire a Registered In-House Counsel status in California.
• Experience counseling business teams and working closely with designers, engineers, and product management.
• Legal expertise in several of the following areas: privacy, data security, content moderation, consumer protection or other regulatory frameworks.
• Familiar with internet-based communications technology, user generated content, and cloud services and the related legal issues.
• Comfortable operating thoughtfully, at times, quickly, and working on cutting-edge legal and policy matters where there is ambiguity and a lack of legal precedent.
• Enthusiasm and passion for technology, law, and business. Experience in the video game industry a strong plus.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d2n957-3-236-28-137-42 in your application.